Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

View Poll Results: Idiotic or Genius?
Idiotic 14 93.33%
Genius 1 6.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 PM

Default Re: San Francisco goes after trans fats too

[ QUOTE ]
The Trans-fat argument bugs me because there is no value out of trans-fats. Banning them is perfectly reasonable to me.

Something like marijuana is different to me because it is valuable to some people.

What good comes from trans-fats?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they have no benefit, then why would anyone voluntarily choose them over the alternative? Seems to be there is a benefit, you just couldn't wrap your mind around it.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they have no benefit, then why would anyone voluntarily choose them over the alternative? Seems to be there is a benefit, you just couldn't wrap your mind around it.

[/ QUOTE ]

honestly, transfats might be somewhat unique in that they have no benefit to the consumer, but only informed consumers *who have a choice* can alter things. add to that that t.f. benefit the producers greatly, and it's easy to see why it's hard to change. for one thing, most consumers are not informed. they're stupid.

I mean, leaded gasoline is golden compared to transfats. leaded gas is way better for engines than unleaded. the only benefit of transfats if that people are sold older boxed food instead of newer boxed food.

but the bottom line is that probably about 10% of informed and active consumers want transfats out, the other 90% dont know dont care, and the producers of course 100% want transfats in because transfats work way better with their manufactured industrial food paradigm.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
honestly, transfats might be somewhat unique in that they have no benefit to the consumer

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
t.f. benefit the producers greatly ... the producers of course 100% want transfats in because transfats work way better with their manufactured industrial food paradigm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Benefits to the producer do not result in benefits to the consumer?

When Best Buy finds a solution that cuts shrinkage costs, this doesn't have a positive effect on me, as someone who shops at that store?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

When Best Buy finds a solution that cuts shrinkage costs, this doesn't have a positive effect on me, as someone who shops at that store?

[/ QUOTE ]

well, when doritos or something goes no transfats, does the price go up? well there you go.

I mean doping bulk milk tanks with penicillin greatly benefits the producer, and was widely done until recently. you like that? it benefits producer, shouldn't it benefit you?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but the bottom line is that probably about 10% of informed and active consumers want transfats out, the other 90% dont know dont care, and the producers of course 100% want transfats in because transfats work way better with their manufactured industrial food paradigm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why every day more and more products in stores proclaim the fact that they're trans-fat free without any government action.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, when doritos or something goes no transfats, does the price go up? well there you go.

I mean doping bulk milk tanks with penicillin greatly benefits the producer, and was widely done until recently. you like that? it benefits producer, shouldn't it benefit you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you read minds? If not, how do you determine what benefits someone other than yourself?

BTW, have you seen the price of milk lately?

<font color="white">That's actually a cheap shot, since the price increases are not attributable 100% to antibiotics, seeing as organic milk has increased a lot too (though not as much percentage wise in my own tiny sample size survey).</font>
Old 12-01-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to know more about this random piece of information before I could tell you whether or not I like it. But it's irrelevant. I never claimed the fact that people use trans fats benefits me. If I'm a health conscious person I would actually be better off if no one made the decision to eat trans fat. I probably would be better off if people chose never to eat anywhere that used trans fats, just like I probably would be better off if everyone chose to work 10 hours today instead of 8. But that doesn't mean I necessarily think I should force people to work longer, if what they prefer to do is work 8 hours.

The question is: considering that if left to their own devices, people choose to sell trans fats and other people choose to buy them, would I be making the situation better or worse by trying to restrict this behavior?

My point in my reply to you is that you said there is "no benefit to the consumer." And then mentioned that there is indeed a benefit to the producer. Care to explain why in the instance of trans fat this benefit to the producer does not result in a benefit to the consumer? Unless you somehow know what exactly other people value, I'm at a loss for how you can declare there is no benefit. So I'm not even trying to make a point here as much as I'm asking you to defend and elaborate on your argument that there is "no benefit."
Old 12-01-2007, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Care to explain why in the instance of trans fat this benefit to the producer does not result in a benefit to the consumer? Unless you somehow know what exactly other people value, I'm at a loss for how you can declare there is no benefit.

[/ QUOTE ]

well , why don't you tell me the benefit? it isn't lower cost to the consumer, since trans free chips cost the same as "regular chips".
Old 12-01-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is why every day more and more products in stores proclaim the fact that they're trans-fat free without any government action.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, the 10% is having an effect. twenty years ago it was 1%.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you read minds? If not, how do you determine what benefits someone other than yourself?

BTW, have you seen the price of milk lately?

That's actually a cheap shot, since the price increases are not attributable 100% to antibiotics, seeing as organic milk has increased a lot too (though not as much percentage wise in my own tiny sample size survey).

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I meant they used to shoot antibiotics directly into the bulk milk tank. they don't do that anymore. (distributors started testing for antibiotics and if the levels were too high they wouldn't buy it.)

ok, name the benefit of transfats. I could be wrong, I mean if people were ragging on leaded gas I could point out a benefit to the consumer. I can't point out a benefit to the consumer of trnas fats.