Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 03:44 PM

Default Turning Stone 1/2

Heading to Turning Stone in the next couple of weeks. I was just curious as to how good the games are.. tough? fishy? I also realize that this can be table specific but is it usually weak/tight loose/aggressive..? Any information would be appreciated Thanks ps. I'll be there during the week+weekend, wednesday to sunday... is there a drastic change in the dynamics of the games during weekdays as opposed to weekends? Thanks again
Old 12-07-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Turning Stone 1/2

In my experience very fishy, I play SUPER tight and all the players knew it. When I raised a pot everyone was like uh ohhhhh and then one moron would re-pop with 99 lol and then he would call my push haha. May have just been a lucky draw.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:33 PM

Both the 100max and 200max are usually very fishy, 100 moreso but both games are profitable.

Also the game plays bigger than 1/2 usually, standard preflop raises are usually at least $10, and there are usually a few guys with big stacks. Try to play tight with the initial buy-in until you can run it up a bit.

Weekends usually attracts a younger crowd but this doesn't mean they are any better.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both the 100max and 200max are usually very fishy, 100 moreso but both games are profitable.

Also the game plays bigger than 1/2 usually, standard preflop raises are usually at least $10, and there are usually a few guys with big stacks. Try to play tight with the initial buy-in until you can run it up a bit.

Weekends usually attracts a younger crowd but this doesn't mean they are any better.

[/ QUOTE ]

quite true. the 100max game is ok, just wait till u dub up, then play ur game. remember, its no fold poker, so bluffin is out of the question. gl
Old 12-08-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also the game plays bigger than 1/2 usually, standard preflop raises are usually at least $10, and there are usually a few guys with big stacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't "bigger". This is the definition of a standard 1/2 NL game everywhere I've ever played. This doesn't mean 100% of the time, but definately a majority of the time.

I was at TS a few weeks ago and noticed absolutely no difference between the 1/2 games up there (weekend and weekday) vs the ones in Las Vegas.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:25 AM

I was thinking of going up this spring or summer break maybe with some friends, where can you stay up there though that might be more affordable for us college kids. What other games do they have that are good to play like stud or omaha.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:22 AM

1-5 Stud goes "rarely" was their words. Boring ass game to play.

4/8 Omaha 8 is a more semi regular game, usually nights and weekends.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1-5 Stud goes "rarely" was their words. Boring ass game to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Photoc --

You're going to keep spouting this nonsense, and I'm going to keep calling you out on it. Spread-limit stud is a terrific game. If $5 isn't enough to interest you, blame the limit, not the game.

--Nate
Old 12-08-2006, 03:57 AM

I've played the game several times. It's not nonsense. If a game is boring to me, it's my opinion and I am entitled to it. The poster replied to me and asked me a question. If others want to give insight, that is 100% acceptable. What is not is you telling me my opinions on a game are incorrect. Every time I've ever played stud it's a retired nit fest and zero fun to play whatsoever. If this qualifies as being wrong and nonsense to you, then I dont know what to tell you.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played the game several times. It's not nonsense. If a game is boring to me, it's my opinion and I am entitled to it. The poster replied to me and asked me a question. If others want to give insight, that is 100% acceptable. What is not is you telling me my opinions on a game are incorrect. Every time I've ever played stud it's a retired nit fest and zero fun to play whatsoever. If this qualifies as being wrong and nonsense to you, then I dont know what to tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Photoc --

If my tone was dismissive, that's one thing. But claiming that 1-5 stud is boring and crappy, as a statement of fact, is pretty misleading, I think. Most of the serious players I know would rather play it than the small LHE games. Also, in at least one of your posts, I got the impression that you attribute the unpleasant games to the structure of spread-limit stud itself, not the clientele, and I can promise that spread-limit stud is a wonderful, difficult game. I've played in 1-5 stud games instead of NLHE games just because it's so much fun.

--Nate