Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Default undergrad degree for trading?

I'm currently a sophomore at a decent undergrad bschool, i know undergrad doesnt mean anything, and want to become a trader. preferably fixed income.

anyways, what should I major in? I'm thinking double with finance and MIS with a minor in math. Is MIS (management info systems) worthless? I'm aware that liberal arts majors get onto the trading floor, but since I'm not in the arts, what should I pick??

on a side note, is being an accountant beat these days?
Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: undergrad degree for trading?

i think you'd be much better off with a engineering/cs/math degree than finance/mis
Old 11-14-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you'd be much better off with a engineering/cs/math degree than finance/mis

[/ QUOTE ]

100% agree. unless you know someone who knows someone, or get internships from a early on in the career process, then you'll struggle with just finance. if you have a very good application explaining what edge you have (as you'll be up against math/engineering/cs) then you may be able to get an interview (poker is an example of being able to have an edge).

basically imo they are not looking for some guy with good grades from a good university studying finance who wants to be a trader. they are looking for the top guys in especially in math and also cs and engineering who also have some knowledge in finance etc.

im not saying you cant get an interview, but if you want to become a trader, then dont lower your chances by not picking maths.

as for accountancy, i am in my first month as a trainee accountant. with a big 4 firm so not tooo bad prospect wise, but still, i'd of loved to have gotten to give trading a go, way better money, way more interesting.

if i were you, in all seriousness, go do maths, work your ass off at university to get good grades, go apply for as many internships as you can, go take a few interview lessons if your not 100% confident in your interviews, go read up on the vault guides and as much as you can about the line of trading you want to go in there.

if you do all that, you'll likely get the job. if you don't, i doubt you will, becuase the people your competing against will do. it sucks i know, but it's one of the best jobs in the world financially, so the competition is very strong.

you may already follow your line of trading your interested in, already have a trading contact, already be great in interviews, in which case this is a lot easier, but if you don't (like me when i was applying) then it's tough.

i don't want to sound doom and gloom, it's not impossible, but it's not easy either.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:04 PM

I may be heading into that realm and as of now I'm looking at Accy/Stats or Fin/Stats with extra accounting classes. U of I has a well known accounting department so I have been told to take as many accounting classes as possible and Stats will hopefully help me stand out.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:06 PM

The trend now is moving toward the math, cs, physics types and away from the finance accounting types.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:10 PM

I'm not looking for an easy way out but, if I major or double major in something outside of the business school, I have to fulfill all the liberal arts requirements: 1 year of labs and 1 year of foreign language being the two big road blocks.

So I shouldn't even look at a economics major or minor? Would a math minor or computer science minor suffice? What the hell is a finance major good for anyways
Old 11-14-2007, 07:23 PM

1. Good, no, great grades are very important. Not every interviewer cares, but plenty do, especially on the trading side.
2. As in poker, the right move is situational. Find out from your school who recruits there, which departments they recruit from, and what the specs are on the students from your school who have landed trading jobs.
3. Try very very hard to get some type of relevant internship this summer.
4. Be wary of advice about what degree(s) to get. Many can work, but it may be a function of where you attend school.
5. Get to know people in the business. Not easy, so get creative.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Get to know people in the business. Not easy, so get creative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be on the TOP of the list IMO

SF [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]