Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Ask Me About Being a Police Officer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you like telling people what to do?
what percent of police officers would you say are addicted to power?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like telling people what to do, in most cases. I never try to throw down my authority on anyone. We have a skatepark in our jurisdiction that says at the front gate that they must wear helmets. We catch them all the time and have to tell them to put helmets on. They are starting to get the impression that we are harassing them, but I don't stop if I catch them doing spins and whatnot without a helmet on. I really don't like doing it because it's great that they are off the streets, but at the same time, rules are rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
isn't this a choice issue? I mean, there isn't any law (that i know of) that says you have to wear a helmet on a skateboard.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
do you like telling people what to do?
what percent of police officers would you say are addicted to power?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't like telling people what to do, in most cases. I never try to throw down my authority on anyone. We have a skatepark in our jurisdiction that says at the front gate that they must wear helmets. We catch them all the time and have to tell them to put helmets on. They are starting to get the impression that we are harassing them, but I don't stop if I catch them doing spins and whatnot without a helmet on. I really don't like doing it because it's great that they are off the streets, but at the same time, rules are rules.

[/ QUOTE ]
isn't this a choice issue? I mean, there isn't any law (that i know of) that says you have to wear a helmet on a skateboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's more or so like a borough ordinance. It's an insurance issue. For the right to have the skate park, they had to agree to wear a helmet. That is how the sign came to be. At first, they didn't have a rule. Alot of old-timers started complaining and so the borough council made it a rule with a representative of the skate park present.

It's just like curfew. There is no law that states a person under 18 years of age has to be home at a certain time, but borough ordinances say they do.

A few months ago, one of the skate park boys got mouthy with one of the officer's for not wearing a helmet. The officer gave him a warning, and eventually kicked him out for a week. The violation of going back would have been defiant trespass. We contacted the borough manager first about what we could do.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's considered illegal. I'm not a smoker and I hate the smell of cigarettes and that will include any marijuana. It's for the benefit of the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Statements like that really irk me, as pretty much anything done "for the people" are unconstitutional.

The only roll the government should take in protecting "the people" is the enforcement of God's rights.

The founding fathers took many ideas for the Constitution directly from John Locke in which he reasons the only roll of government should be:

1. National Defense
2. Police Force - To enforce against people violating the rights of man
3. Court System - An impartial third party "No man can be the judge of his own cause" -John

If you're interested you should look up some of the founding fathers thoughts re: what the roll of government should be.

But then again, the Constitution is only a piece of paper and has been trampled on over and over in the last few centuries.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:06 PM

You mentioned that you're a policeman in a town rather than a big city. Do cops patrol the parks and recreational areas in your town? Or are there special patrolman who take care of those areas? Or no supervision whatsoever? Cuz in big cities there's usually a special category of patrolman specially assigned to parks and recreational areas. I'd like to know what you think about them as well.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ok cuz i was hoping to get a sick prop bet with durrr going sometime in the future and the loser had to go thru all that and become a legal police officer. thats prob not what u wanted to hear though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] this is a great thread though and i think its super awesome that theres all sorts of diff ppl in the 2p2 community. i had no idea a police officer would post on 2p2, ive also read ur posts in past and just assumed u played full time. cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

durrr better post trip reports
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned that you're a policeman in a town rather than a big city. Do cops patrol the parks and recreational areas in your town? Or are there special patrolman who take care of those areas? Or no supervision whatsoever? Cuz in big cities there's usually a special category of patrolman specially assigned to parks and recreational areas. I'd like to know what you think about them as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

We have small parks that children go to, if that is what you mean. We drive by them, shine our spotlight on them, make sure nobody is there after dark. We also drive through one that we can get into with the car. We also patrol by water treatment areas, a reservoir, and a water tower. We're supposed to drive near all of them at least once per shift due to the Department of Defense based on the terrorism issues, but they are out of the way usually and we rarely make them up around those areas.

In bigger departments, it's all about allocation and division of labor. You can't always have police officers working on homicide cases, doing regular patrolling, and also directing traffic.

We do all that in my small town if we have to because it doesn't happen very often. I don't think we've had a homicide in 20 years, although one case lately has caused some controversy.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:25 PM

great thread enjoyed it. i am in school for criminal justice right now and cant wait till this summer. i will be a part time officer. i have lots of family friends in my local police department so the fact that i wasn't in the military wont hurt me. because when i was looking in to joining the state police they were really looking for someone with military experience. anyways thanks again for the thread.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great thread enjoyed it. i am in school for criminal justice right now and cant wait till this summer. i will be a part time officer. i have lots of family friends in my local police department so the fact that i wasn't in the military wont hurt me. because when i was looking in to joining the state police they were really looking for someone with military experience. anyways thanks again for the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome! Good luck. I hope this thread can continue.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:38 PM

Since you've suggested it and no one's asked, what are 2 of teh more interesting stories you have from your time on the force?

also, nice thread
Old 10-10-2007, 11:03 PM

When someone whom you suspect is up to something, but am not sure, and you approach them and start questioning them and they respond with statements/questions such as:

"Am I under arrest?" "What is my legal status at the moment?" "Am I free to leave" "I never consent to searches"
Do you respect their wanting to preserve their rights or do you resent it?