Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 PM

Default Re: which poker pro is the most educated ?

[ QUOTE ]
i know there was an earlier duke v. yale thread, but which college nowadays pumps out the best poker supahstars?

[/ QUOTE ]

how smart can you be if you can't spell the name of the college you attended correctly? it's dook.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 PM

Mike Matusow 4 sure not
Old 08-28-2007, 07:15 PM

Isn't Professor77 is an actual professor?
Old 08-28-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then there's Annie Duke who finished all of her Linguistics PhD but the dissertation, and who seems--sorry--so much less intelligent than other PhD candidates I've known.

[/ QUOTE ]

You haven't met too many linguistics PhDs have you?

Ba-zing!
Old 08-28-2007, 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But the toughest part is the math. So, I think a doctorate in EE, ME, ChemE, (don't know about CE,SE,PE,etc.), math, stat, CS, hard science trumps most else (maybe not MD) because you can't hide from the math -- either you figure it out, or you flunk out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Math can be tough, but by your sophomore year, it's behind you. I know people that got PhDs in engineering that didn't have to take any more math. I think the advanced engineering degrees require a lot of work in your effort of your specialty, but the most challenging stuff was in undergrad, especially since you don't have a choice to avoid the stuff you don't like. After that, you're spending a lot of time on the parts that you really enjoyed and were good at (which is different than saying it's easy).

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't necessarily true at all. I have an M.S. and a Ph.D. in aerospace engineering. My general research area is control theory (which is one of the major specialties among aerospace engineering grad students), so much of my coursework was graduate level math. Even most of the graduate engineering courses I took were basically math courses taught by the engineering dept, and were presented in a "theorem-proof-theorem" format.

At the advanced undergrad level, many aerospace engineering courses are essentially applied math. This includes flight controls (linear algebra, systems theory, and integral transforms), fluid dynamics (partial differential equations), and structural analysis (finite elements, modal analysis).

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to say that engineers don't use math past their early undergrad days. I just meant that the math courses themselves can be put behind them if they want to "hide" from them, and it isn't necessary to be great at math to get a PhD in engineering. Of course, controls is going to be heavy on math, but it isn't necessary in a lot of areas. Fluids and FEA have a basis in advanced math, but you can do just about all your research with software to crunch the numbers, depending on how theoretical vs. practical your chosen area of research and coursework is. I was responding to the statement, "you can't hide from the math." I was pointing out that you can, not that everyone does.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what about juanda? wasnt he a doctor before?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. When he came over from Indonesia he was going to go into premed in New York. But he ended up deciding to go to Oklahoma State sand studied business because he had a friend going there and he thought it would be easier. He ended up going go back to Indonesia and ran up credit card debt gambling and to be able to pay it off he conned his parents (who here very successful business people) telling them that he wanted to get his MBA back in the States- so they gave him money and he got his MBA at Seattle. Problem was the first $15,000 of the $40,000 they gave him went to the credit card debt - so at the end he had to make up the $15,000 to pay for his tuition so he started going to the Harrah's in Washington and thats when he really got into poker.

It's in the July issue of Bluff with him on the cover.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tie between Block (JD from Harvard Law) and Binger (PhD in Particle Physics from Stanford). Major postgraduate degrees from arguably the two best Universities in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark Weitzman has a law degree from Harvard or some place like that and was six months away from a Phd in particle physics from Cal Tech (when he quit after bumping into me).
I think he is the clear cut winner.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:23 PM

That's a lot of bronze...

can u give us a brief history of this guy?
Old 08-28-2007, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i know there was an earlier duke v. yale thread, but which college nowadays pumps out the best poker supahstars?

[/ QUOTE ]

how smart can you be if you can't spell the name of the college you attended correctly? it's dook.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ ] funny post
Old 08-29-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Mike Matusow 4 sure not

[/ QUOTE ]

Me 4 sure not smart.