Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2007, 03:54 AM

Default Stars million $1050 hand vs bodogar/random

Previous to this hand I hadn’t 3 bet anyone in quite some time. Ari had been on the table for about 3 rounds and had been quiet in late position but quite aggressive in middle position, raising once, sometimes twice every round.

I’ve shown this hand to a few players I respect and gotten a very mixed reaction, so I’ll follow it up with numerous questions.

Table is 9 handed, I am hijack, bodogari MP2. The stacks are as follows:
Bodogari: 74,140
myself: 47,181
CO: 38,171
button: 28,785
SB: 47,030
BB: 66,864

All the players behind me seemed sensible, aware of what was going on at table and what my image was.

Hero holds KTo MP2.
Blinds 800/1600 with ante of 80.

Preflop: Folds to Bodogari, Bodogari raises to 4000, hero reraises to 12000, CO folds, button shoves for 28,705, SB folds, BB folds, Bodogari folds, hero calls.

Questions:
Against an aggressive but better player, do you ever make a reraise in these positions?

If you do make a reraise do you feel more inclined to do so with a hand that is practically never dominated, such as say 45ss?

If you do make reraises in these situations, what kind of stack lineup behind you are you looking for in order for it to be optimal? What kind of stack line up would prevent you from ever making such a play?

Would you call here getting 3 to 1 assuming your often 3 outing or worse?

Any other thoughts?
Old 04-11-2007, 04:09 AM

Default Re: Stars million $1050 hand vs bodogar/random

Your stack size is not great for a reraise. You have to fold to a push, which is not a total disaster, since you are bluffing and Ari must have a hand to push, since you are not expected to fold. If Ari flat calls, he acts first and can more or less stop and go you. I think the loose reraise works better with deep money or if you can essential put villain allin. I would flat call or fold here initially.

KTo is somewhat better in this situation than 54s, as you can verify with PokerStove. If you had 100+xBB, it would be better to reraise with 54s, as it is easier to play a flop with that hand.

Of course you have to call the short stack push, since he knows you have to call if Ari folds, he is a significant favorite over KTo.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:49 AM

As long as you haven't seen Ari already repopped I think the reraise here is fine - stack sizes and positions line up well for it.

I don't care what I hold here - we're unlikely to see a flop and if we do we're not deep enough to worry about it.

I'm folding to the push - his shove is almost certainly not a move, you're at least a 3-1 dog and most likely 4-1 (assuming QQ+, AK). And if you fold you still have resteal equity (albeit w/ a tarnished image).

HC

Oh and BTW - still waiting for my HH review :-)
Old 04-11-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As long as you haven't seen Ari already repopped I think the reraise here is fine - stack sizes and positions line up well for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, the stack sizes are not good here for a reraise because if he calls then we are playing a 27k pot with only 35k in our stack. A reraise is much better when we have the same stack as ari or have him covered.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 AM

Graf -

Agree, it's better if we have him covered here but we have enough to hurt him. I'm assuming from Bond's description of the previous orbits action that he's found a steal spot he likes, is milking it and is opening light. Our 1/4 stack reraise w/ just more than a PSB left behind should make him believe we're committed and he's unlikely to be playing back w/o a real hand and I'm thinking he calls here approximately never - you see a flat call here more often?

I think the play is +Cev and has considerable strategic upside as well as it will open the door to our picking on what's likely a soft spot on our left.

HC