Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Does the thought of Hell ever scare an atheist?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What if there really was a monster in the closet? I mean, cmon, there is some possibility that there is a soul devouring zombie in there. I'll admit it creates the sensation of fear from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i anticipated this type of answer, and if u truly believe the two to have equal chance, then no of course you would never fear Hell.

However, Christianity is very prevalent in the world (as well as Islam). If one of these two were actually the correct religion, it would make sense that they are so prevalent. In either case, the end result for those not aligned with God are just horrible to fathom(...eternity...in torment...). But if God does exist, he makes the rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about atheists. But I do know that most flavors of Christians should be very worried about going to hell. Because they have banked on one path when there are obviously at least two other possibilities that as you say, are very prevalent. One is Islam. If Christians are right that God needs you to believe something specific to go to heaven than they are less than even money if the "prevalent" thought has merit.

And what about if they are wrong about God's wishes? What if God's main concerns are how you conduct yourselves? That is also a reasonable idea, unlike monsters in the closet. And if its true, the clean living atheist or Jew will have a lot less to worry about than the Christian who is banking on mere belief.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, the Muslim heaven, with lots of virgins to deflower, sounds a little more interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, virgins suck. Repeat after me, "virgins suck." And no, that's not what I mean. I mean, virgins don't suck. See what I mean?
Old 11-06-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i think the fact that there's even something instead of nothing at all is mind-blowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I that question is (or should be?) equally troubling for theists and atheists alike. Science can come up with some great solutions for how things work starting at a fraction of a second after the Big Bang occurred. Asking for what caused the Big Bang is more troublesome. Theists can only slightly get around this question, because essentially the question is answered by stating that God created the universe and started the Big Bang (or whatever other Creation story). This of course leads to asking where God came from, a question usually answered with such statements as "He always has existed." I don't feel very comfortable with any of the choices, but I'm slightly more comfortable accepting that an omnipotent being could have always existed (being omnipotent and all).

Sometimes when pondering this question I feel like surely the universe must not exist...
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 PM

The only thing about hell that worries me is that some people still believe in it.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now, the Muslim heaven, with lots of virgins to deflower, sounds a little more interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, virgins suck. Repeat after me, "virgins suck." And no, that's not what I mean. I mean, virgins don't suck. See what I mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a certain cachet...
Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 AM

There are many scary things that can and will happen. I would say I would have to be concerned about the ones more likely to happen first.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

i think the fact that there's even something instead of nothing at all is mind-blowing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I that question is (or should be?) equally troubling for theists and atheists alike. Science can come up with some great solutions for how things work starting at a fraction of a second after the Big Bang occurred. Asking for what caused the Big Bang is more troublesome. Theists can only slightly get around this question, because essentially the question is answered by stating that God created the universe and started the Big Bang (or whatever other Creation story). This of course leads to asking where God came from, a question usually answered with such statements as "He always has existed." I don't feel very comfortable with any of the choices, but I'm slightly more comfortable accepting that an omnipotent being could have always existed (being omnipotent and all).

Sometimes when pondering this question I feel like surely the universe must not exist...

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds very Buddhist's-like. But i agree, i get a very eerie feeling when i start rationalizing that there probably should be nothing at all...
Old 11-07-2007, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The ironic thing is I never heard this worry about hell come up among Christians as much as it does with the atheists on this forum. I'm sure Christians are bound to consider it, but most that I know focus on the love and redemption. I know I noticed hell but in a passing sort of way... I know there's a hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I may summarize then: You know that it is the case that the majority of people who have ever lived will be tortured for eternity after their deaths. However, this is not something that interests or concerns you, and frankly you find the subject quite boring.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:02 AM

i think "atheist" and "degenerate low life" some how become synonyms when talking about hell. why would god care what you believe or if you worship him if you do what you can to be a good person, tried to help others, and did what was right when you could. i simply cannot imagine that if there is a god, that he would doom so much of the human race to suffering, be it in this world or in some afterlife just so he could make some others feel good.

just you don't think what god said about being a good person came from god doesn't mean you don't believe that the idea of being morally upright and a good person is good.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i know most atheists are confident in their belief that there is no God...especially the Christian God.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty fair bet that atheists disbelieve in all gods equally, or close to equally. I don't know why you feel the need to say "especially the Christian god".

That being said, I am as worried about going to hell for not believing as you are worried about it. After all, what if as you say, god is real and did create everything, but he's the god of another religion, and you are wrong and going to hell?

Doesn't that slight chance you are wrong worry you, just a little??