Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 04:26 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/2 - Day 6)

[ QUOTE ]
Kenny Tran seemed to really not like Jerry Yang, evidenced by his "no praying at the table" and calling for a 5 on the river when Yang had Alaei drawing pretty slim.

Wonder if they had some history from earlier in the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a jerk move but I felt it was more of a "support Alaei" than a "bash Yang". But still douchy of the 7th degree.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL @ Johnny Chan next to Scotty after Scotty takes a big pot. You always see Johnny Chan standing next to the player winning a big pot, the chip leader of a tournament, etc.

1. at Gold's side last year
2. at Jerry Yang's side at this years final table after Yang started gaining a huge stack
3. at some chipleader's side one time on a WPT episode

I would say groupie.. but I guess I'll show a little more respect to him..

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was getting Scotty to pimp his new energy drink.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Kenny Tran seemed to really not like Jerry Yang, evidenced by his "no praying at the table" and calling for a 5 on the river when Yang had Alaei drawing pretty slim.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a jerk move but I felt it was more of a "support Alaei" than a "bash Yang". But still douchy of the 7th degree.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda makes me want Yang to have prayed out loud for a 7 when Tran had AA v Rahme's 77. lol

gg
Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Believe it or not, Suzzer, I think I read somewhere that they actually just tape the action and the commentary is voiced over later. So I think you are exactly right in that they did know...

[/ QUOTE ]

Link?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 PM

No idea, B.A. Might have been on espn.com...
But think about it.. there was an episode where they had Gavin Smith holding a camera for ESPN. So there are a pack of cameramen to tape the action, it gets edited in studio, and then the commentary is voiced over. There'd be no other way for Lon & Norm to shuttle back and forth across the Rio...
Old 10-04-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the deal with Rahme congratulating Scotty after ever pot he took? It happens every single time and I don't think I've ever seen anything like that before. Its really creepy/strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, I was going to use the exact same word about Rahme but decided not to post it. Seeing as you did though, I agree :-)
Old 10-04-2007, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought he was just trying to be funny, but he wasn't.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No idea, B.A. Might have been on espn.com...
But think about it.. there was an episode where they had Gavin Smith holding a camera for ESPN. So there are a pack of cameramen to tape the action, it gets edited in studio, and then the commentary is voiced over. There'd be no other way for Lon & Norm to shuttle back and forth across the Rio...

[/ QUOTE ]

And in other news today:

1. The earth is still round
2. The sun rises in the east
Old 10-04-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re Scotty vs Hilm: Scotty seems to have a lot of trouble understanding English sometimes (e.g. when Tran went out, he had to be told like three times who it was before he understood). From the televised content, it looked like he misheard or misunderstood after Hilm won the hand and was saying "look what you are doing to me" and "my hands are shaking stacking these chips" etc. Looked like Scotty thought Hilm was having a dig at him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the same thing. Hilm's comments were friendly and Scotty seemed to react pretty badly, whether it was just because he lost that pot, I don't know, but it seemed more like a reaction to the comments by Hilm to me.
If it was an amateur we probably would've gotten a Scotty "Wha, what you say baby??" and cleared the matter but since it was Hilm, Scotty seemed to take out his frustrations on him for playing so aggro.

Definite slowroll by Scotty too.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:14 PM

It looked to me like the further Scotty was going in the tournament the more "obsessed" he become about having another shot to win the title again. Early he looked to have the sick feeling that every player was trapping him with the nuts, when he had the second and third nunts, what looked like slowrolled calls from the editings were instead really suffered decision for him by the look of his face. I think I have seen 3 hands like this when Scotty had his tournament life at risk and he was really seriously concerned to being beaten in a situation where he had a really powerful hand and all his opponents were kind of shocked when they saw the hand he struggled to (insta-call). One of those hands is also in this last episode, when he was put all-in by Hilm when holding the full house. Then, as he also said, something totally changed and he suddenly believed to be invincible and his fast collapse looks to proove that he was really under a personal huge pressure that he wasn't able to handle.