Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Some insight would be appreciated....(long w/ Cliff notes)

I know that most, or at least some, people have been in a similar situation that i am in right now. I would greatly appreciate some insight on how to get out of this mess. I am a 20 year old college student who has been playing poker live and online for 2 years now. I never really have had great success, but I believe that I am or have been playing "winning poker" in the past. Recently (the past month) things have not been going so well and I am now in a hole. I know my situation is not terrible, but I feel as if I've reached rock bottom right now. Allow me to explain my financial situation.

As of right now i have $300 in my checking account, -660 euros of debt in a french bank account, -$700 of credit card debt, $20 in my wallet, and nearly no money on online poker sites. Rewind to a month ago(Mid July) $1k+ in my checking account, -660 euros of debt in france, -$800 in credit card debt, and probably around $1-2k on my fulltilt/bodog accounts.

I normally play anywhere from 100mx-200mx NLHE/PLO, and MTTs. I must say though that when i have been playing cash games i have never truly had a proper bankroll to play in the game i was in. The most buy-ins i've had for a specific game was probably 4-6 unless i had just come off of a big MTT score(i have had three this summer for over $2k).

Now I obviously do not have enough money to play poker to my liking right now. And next time i deposit i want to make sure i do things right and and properly rolled for the game i am playing. I know i obviously will need to find a real job to obtain a source of income. So for the next few weeks i will be taking a break from poker and going back to france. i know most people recommend 20 buyins for cash games, but could someone who has been in this situation im in now recommend a way out to continue playing poker see positive results, and not go crazy playing underrolled and losing everything i deposited in my account in less than 24hrs? I feel as if im rambling but any insight that any person could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Cliff notes: Busto college student in debt wants to find a way out and make sure next time he plays online he is rolled for his game of choice.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM

Default Re: Some insight would be appreciated....(long w/ Cliff notes)

so get a job and save money
Old 09-13-2007, 08:44 PM

in before trainwreck
Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 PM

student loans are what I use.

it's working great.

definitely try that,
and usually banks have some good rates for students as well on loans.
See what they're willing to give,
and take it all.
Remember, you're never going to be rich playing the small games.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
so get a job and save money

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-13-2007, 09:04 PM

pm luckyjimm about this..
Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...could someone...recommend a way...to play...poker...and not go crazy playing underrolled and losing everything...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes: play poker with a 20 Buy-in roll, don't go crazy and lose everything.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:18 PM

here's a thought - never ever ever go into debt to play poker. most people will never play well with money they can't afford to lose (granted there are exceptions to this). also, 20 buyins is too few imho unless you have a large edge and never tilt, neither of which seem to be the case.

also grim lol at you saying get a job and save money
Old 09-13-2007, 09:18 PM

BBV was not the best place to post this. In the morning, you are going to be met by a slew of pictures and obnoxious comments and such. it's going to be ugly.

My advice to you is to get your life together first. Try it without poker, see what happens. Get out of debt and get a job. Find some peace in your life outside of poker bankroll fluctation.

Secondly, you probably think you are a better player than you are. Try grinding it out overrolled at NL50 for a while. Don't think about money. Playing games "you like" because they are bigger is like the number one way to lose money because you aren't thinking about making good decisions. You're thinking about telling your friends you won $X in the morning.

Cliffnotes: Finish your education, you're not a pro player or a successful semi pro player. Get a job. Do some reading on poker literature. Play to make good decisions when you have more stability in your life. Also, post this in general gambling / psychology where you will get more sincere replies.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 PM

BECOME EMPLOYED IMMEDIATELY