Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 03:40 AM

Default First Post

I stumbled across 7CS after a frustrating December at Hold'em. Read Super System chapter by C. Reese, and rediscovered enjoyment in poker.

I would not normally play this hand except I felt reasonably confident because all three were over all other door cards.

Seat 8 was playing everything - and I mean everything! Seat 6 I had not watched closely yet. I considered Seat 3 the strongest player at the table.

Except for one hand I was likely seen by the table as TAG. I can't remember the error I made prior to this which might have encouraged Seat 6 and 8 to go as far as they did, when earlier they had folded to bets from me.

I've analyzed this myself and am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks.

7 Card Stud High ($1/$2), Ante $0.10 (converter)

Seat 1: $30.35
Hero: $24.75
Seat 3: $57.60
Seat 4: $70.35
Seat 5: $38.85
Seat 6: $10.15
Seat 8: $47.65

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Vil 6: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Vil 6: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

5th Street - (1.85 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Vil 6: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls

6th Street - (8.85 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Vil 6: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets

River - (11.85 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Vil 6: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises $1.55 to $3.55 and is all-in
Seat 8: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___bets___calls

Total pot: (17.18 BB)
Old 01-31-2007, 04:05 AM

Default Re: First Post

I fold 3rd, but then I suck. Seriously you have unsuited high bags in a very multiway pot. Even if you hit a pair chances are you'll still be behind to a 2 pair. Given the anemic pot on 5th I will even go so far as to advocate a fold, although I'm probably being results oriented :-\ DON'T POST RESULTS!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:30 AM

At 1/2 A J 10 with the ace up has little value.

As played I muck 6th when you are looking at two sets at least.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:13 AM

I'd fold 3rd too especially with 3 limpers in front. Too many gaps in your hand. Without the limpers it might be a good place to steal.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:18 AM

I've little to none experience with 7 Card Stud but I just read a book about it and hence I have opinions about your play in this hand.

3rd street:

If you want to play your three very live high cards you should raise trying to knock some opponents out.

5th street:

Raising with your straight against QQ, 88 and 66 is of course the right play.

6th street:

Calling against 666 and 88 is OK.

7th street:

Here you could think about saving the last bet. Calling the 666 is OK but villain's raise means that he can beat far more than that. You can at best beat one of these guys.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM

I'd raise third and bet fourth and then take stock. Is that bad? Can you really fold an ace door at $1/2 agaisnt these door cards in LP? What about the metagame?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:17 AM

Yes. Too many players limped in for a raise on 3rd to be correct IMO. Just call 3rd and play well from there.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:34 AM

Thanks.

For Bremen (and everybody for that matter) regarding "don't post results" - I know. I had been through a day's work at my regular job, 1 hour of homework, our weekly home game, and then four more hours of homework before I tried posting.

I was tired, very tired. The hand had been played two nights earlier so tired does not factor into the play.

I had already posted when I realized just what the little check boxes on the converter really did. I tried changing it, then went to bed anticipating your reminders.

I'll be more careful in the future.

David
Old 01-31-2007, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. Too many players limped in for a raise on 3rd to be correct IMO. Just call 3rd and play well from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do you play XA-A in this situation?
Old 01-31-2007, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So how do you play XA-A in this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are late to act after 4 or 5 limpers, its right to smooth call. If you raise, you are making it correct for people with 3 flushes and 3 straights to play later because you have inflated the pot. Against 4 or 5 players you are not the favorite.