Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2007, 10:57 PM

Default Few beginner questions

I have made a few small deposits ($25-50), ran them up, and tilted at higher stakes games. This time I am determined to practice good br management, though. I currently have $50 in my account. I ran this up from $25 earlier today from .01/.02. I also have PT, but all of the threads I have seen here seem to be how to take advantage of PT, not how to get started up. So:
1) Could someone please direct me to a good "starting PT" thread?
2) .01/.02 is boring and tedious. Should I still grind it out till I have 100 dollars before moving to .02/.05?
3) I feel that my postflop play is far superior to my opponents because of my experience, but that I am way too loose and agressive pre-flop. Could someone please direct me to a good pf hand range chart for microstakes?
4) Any tips (I have read most of the MSNL stickies) are welcome
Old 06-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Few beginner questions

PT can be a useful tool, but you need to learn poker fundamentals first. Are you solid on that? Until you are, I wouldn't worry about PT
Old 06-05-2007, 11:07 PM

I definitely would not say I have mastered the fundamentals.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:08 PM

Also, regarding:

2) boring and tedious ... why? If its such a small amount for you that losing it would be no big deal, then by all means play higher and practice BR management after you buy in for more. If you are a poor player who needs practice, then playing for low is probably a good idea. If you are a winning player, then playing for higher with a somewhat sub-optimum BR might be a good idea. Depends on how much risk you want to take on.

3) if you are at a very loose table, and you likely are most of the time at .01/.02, then you should only open with optimum hands preflop.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:09 PM

Oh, two more questions:
1) Are these $50 free promotions on Full Tilt, UB, and Absolute for real? Can you get rakeback with them?
2) I love Stars, and I love the support, but why can't they just have rakeback? I have a FT account that has been transferred to before, but never deposited in. Can I play there w/ rakeback? Also, I have never had an account with UB. Could I get rakeback there?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, regarding:

2) boring and tedious ... why? If its such a small amount for you that losing it would be no big deal, then by all means play higher and practice BR management after you buy in for more. If you are a poor player who needs practice, then playing for low is probably a good idea. If you are a winning player, then playing for higher with a somewhat sub-optimum BR might be a good idea. Depends on how much risk you want to take on.

3) if you are at a very loose table, and you likely are most of the time at .01/.02, then you should only open with optimum hands preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]
2) I was thinking that I can probably beat the .02/.05 well enough that variance won't be a big deal, so it will just be faster than doing .01/.02.
3) Huh? I've noticed that the players are very nitty and that c-bets are very effective. I was thinking pokertracker could help me understand this with those 3 player numbers that it displays (or do you need a different program for that?).
PS: ty for your replies
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM

Yes they are for real. I'm not sure about getting rakeback with them, but I believe you can. I don't know about stars, but I get rakeback on UB
Old 06-05-2007, 11:13 PM

Do you play a full ring or short?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:15 PM

This is the rakeback site I use: http://www.rakerebate.net/

Twoplustwo has ads for other rakeback sites, check them out too.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:17 PM

6max