Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Heyman: Miggy is on the block.

kos you can argue all you want that accepting a five-year offer from the sox is dumb on cabrera's part, but it's very common and there's no reason to think he wouldn't be willing to listen to the offer, so it's kind of a moot point. players do it all the time. clearly most agents and GM's in baseball disagree with you (as well as kyleb) so i am going to go with them here.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 2+1 deal is effectively lol-worthy. If he wants to do that, then there's no reason to accept an extension, period. That would piss off the Marlins front office, but who cares about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really arguing that I think it's best for him to go year to year until he hits the market after 2009, though I don't think a 2+1 is all that bad for him because he's so young.

Personally, I think the 2+3 just makes no sense for him at all. If he gets 8 years at 30, he'll get 10 years at 28, and the money will basically be the same when you factor in inflation.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kos you can argue all you want that accepting a five-year offer from the sox is dumb on cabrera's part, but it's very common and there's no reason to think he wouldn't be willing to listen to the offer, so it's kind of a moot point. players do it all the time. clearly most agents and GM's in baseball disagree with you (as well as kyleb) so i am going to go with them here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot think of a single player who has ever bought out three years of free agency so he could hit the market at 30 instead of hitting it at 27.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
of course they would sign him long-term. and they'd probably be able to get a better deal now, when he has two years left of arb, than they would if he hit the FA market.

people who are saying 'it's just not worth it...' ... are you serious? the guy is one of the top power hitters in the game, he's just entering his prime, and the sox are in need of a big RH bat to replace manny. if they don't get it here, where would they get it?

people talking about how much it would cost vs. the a-rod or lowell options: you do realize that cabrera is young, and will actually end up earning his paycheck over the life of this deal, unlike the other two, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

The argument (at least from me) is that he might flat out refuse to sign a deal because he wants to hit the open market. Obviously, I (Tribe fan) make the deal if I can lock him up, but I don't think it's a given that he'd just instantly sign an eight year deal tomorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he projected to be good enough to stay at 3rd I'd love to see someone other than Casey at the hot corner. The Indians have some pieces to do it with as well, Adam Miller, Ben Francisco, Andy Marte, two out of those three plus a cheap pitcher like Sowers would be a pretty good package from the Marlins' viewpoint of talent and long term control of costs.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he projected to be good enough to stay at 3rd I'd love to see someone other than Casey at the hot corner. The Indians have some pieces to do it with as well, Adam Miller, Ben Francisco, Andy Marte, two out of those three plus a cheap pitcher like Sowers would be a pretty good package from the Marlins' viewpoint of talent and long term control of costs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Andy Marte, eh?

Also, the Red Sox counter with Clay Buchholz + X and the Dodgers fork over Kershaw + X, and our package looks like [censored]. Adam Miller is plagued with injury problems. Obviously I'd like to see Cabrera in Cleveland, but they don't have the money nor the talent to trade for him.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're overrating their value. My guess is a Tribe package would have to include Jhonny/Asdrubal, FGutz/Garko, Adam Miller, and Laffey. That's a lot to pay, and even if he would sign a long-term deal with us, I don't think it's a Shapiro-style move.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he gets 8 years at 30, he'll get 10 years at 28.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you be sure this is right?
Old 11-06-2007, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he gets 8 years at 30, he'll get 10 years at 28.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you be sure this is right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I obviously can't be sure, but this really isn't that crazy of an assumption.

I still can't think of any player EVER who has accepted a 2+3 deal over 2+ free agency. The examples you and NT are referring to are pre-arb deals like we give our kids after 1-2 years in the majors.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot think of a single player who has ever bought out three years of free agency so he could hit the market at 30 instead of hitting it at 27.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Beckett just sign an extension that has him hitting FA at 31 instead of 28? Or something roughly in that area? It happens a lot.
Old 11-06-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't Beckett just sign an extension that has him hitting FA at 31 instead of 28? Or something roughly in that area? It happens a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Beckett was only 26, not almost 28...I guess he hits the market at 30, so that counts. But still, these deals are extremely rare. Most players either look to hit the market ASAP or get locked up when it's available so they have security.