Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM

Default NFL team in Toronto.... Could it actually happen?

With the recent news of CFL executives rumoured to be searching for an NFL franchise, I wonder if it is actually possible for an NFL team to end up in Toronto. I don't think there is any doubt regarding the potential market, as Toronto is one of the largest cities in North America, however, there seem to be many questions that need answering... Would the Rogers Centre be a suitable facility to house an NFL franchise, or would a new stadium have to be built? Would a Toronto team be able to secure a lucrative TV deal? What about the CFL? Would an NFL franchise completely ruin the CFL, or could the two co-exist?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM

Default Re: NFL team in Toronto.... Could it actually happen?

The Bills are trying to play a game per year in Toronto starting in the next few years, so if that goes well I don't see why not unless the CFL can somehow block it.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:38 PM

God I hope not. All we'd get on TV across the country is the Bills...
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM

How are they going to work expansion in with 32 teams? It seems like a pretty good numbers set up right now, adding more teams is just going to make things unbalanced. I realize leagues aren't necessarily against that but I don't see the need to expand at the moment.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM

Not going to happen without a new stadium. NFL wants 80000 seats but the Skydome (Roger's Centre... whatever) only seats 55000. Apparently they can rig something for an annual game with temporary seating to bring it close to 80 but it won't be good enough for a permanent team.

I live in Toronto and would love to see it but we will all be dead before there is an NFL team here. Godfrey has been obsessed with this for over 20 years and it's no closer to happening now then it was 20 years ago.

I would imagine there are a few U.S. markets that would see a team long before a Canadian city.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM

I'm content waiting another 25 years for one.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the recent news of CFL executives rumoured to be searching for an NFL franchise, I wonder if it is actually possible for an NFL team to end up in Toronto. I don't think there is any doubt regarding the potential market, as Toronto is one of the largest cities in North America, however, there seem to be many questions that need answering... Would the Rogers Centre be a suitable facility to house an NFL franchise, or would a new stadium have to be built? Would a Toronto team be able to secure a lucrative TV deal? What about the CFL? Would an NFL franchise completely ruin the CFL, or could the two co-exist?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. It is possible and I hope it happens. Rumour is that the Bills are going to move once Ralph Wilson passes on.

2. Toronto would be a great city for an NFL franchise. I'm not just saying that because I live here and want one. We obviously love the NFL, and our CFL attendance is so poor because we are exposed to the possibility of American football.

3. The Rogers Center would have to be renovated, but I would love a new outdoor stadium to replace it. The Rogers Center (I hate typing that, it will always be the SkyDome) is an old piece of crap.

4. Regarding a lucrative TV deal, I have no doubt that stations in Canada would pony up to buy the rights to games.

5. Yes, an NFL franchise in Toronto would pretty much ruin the CFL. Except for maybe Saskatchewan lol.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:06 PM

The Skydome was built 20 years ago. Do you really think it's time for a new building? New York has 9 professional sports teams and none of them had had a new building in 25 years.

The NFL is not adding an expansion team. And since Toronto wouldn't help American advertisers and ratings (I assume?) I can't see it happening.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:08 PM

Just have the Maple Leafs remove their ice skates...
Old 11-08-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5. Yes, an NFL franchise in Toronto would pretty much ruin the CFL. Except for maybe Saskatchewan lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree that this is a natural expectation, I believe that any deal would include provisions requiring the Toronto Polar Bears (I hope that's the name) to promote the CFL.