Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 12:37 AM

Default I need a good algorithm! (Regression related)

Ive got a bunch of data, in the form

[ a1 a2 a3 .. an a(n+1)]
[ b1 b2 b3 .. bn b(n+1)]
[ c1 c2 c3 .. cn c(n+1)]

I want to find the best set of n coefficients so that the sum of (coefficient*letter) for the first n terms predicts the last term. Im not really sure what the name for this is, but its some kind of regression.

Does anyone have any suggestion for places to look for an algorithm for this type of problem? Or some other point in the right direction?

To note: Im looking at a lot of data here, so Im thinking the slower stuff like matlab/R (despite the built in functions for this) wont do it fast enough, and I'll be looking to do it in C.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:45 AM

Default Re: I need a good algorithm! (Regression related)

I'm not a math major but it looks like a linear algebra problem. Which leaves me dumbfounded because I'd bet some money you've taken that before. If that's the case, I don't know how to help you, but if not, you should read up a bit on linear algebra.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:48 AM

I don't have a good algorithm, but I'd "brute force" it with a simple neural net, and then train the hell out of it. Like one node for each of the coefficients simple. I suppose that it would be pretty tough to avoid local maximums in this sort of thing, though, so that might be a crappy solution.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:30 AM

If n>= (number of rows) then it's quite trivial linear algebra problem.

If n< (number of rows) it is much less trivial and requires formulating a hypothesis about your data. It also depends on the nature of your data, i.e. can some data, column 4 for instance, be completely uncorrelated with column (n+1).
Check factor analysis for specifics.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factor_analysis
Old 10-21-2007, 09:36 AM

Looks like an analysis of variance problem. Fitting the data and a F-test.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If n< (number of rows) it is much less trivial and requires formulating a hypothesis about your data. It also depends on the nature of your data, i.e. can some data, column 4 for instance, be completely uncorrelated with column (n+1).

[/ QUOTE ]

v nice. Thanks.

re bolded part: would that, in the end, matter? Obv it would be best to not have uncorrelated data for sake of computational time, but, I would assume that as long as there is a lot of data, the coefficient on uncorrelated terms --> 0, no?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a math major but it looks like a linear algebra problem. Which leaves me dumbfounded because I'd bet some money you've taken that before. If that's the case, I don't know how to help you, but if not, you should read up a bit on linear algebra.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to clarify: Im looking for ONE set of coefficients, such that the mean square error sum of the approximation is minimized.

Im assuming you thought I was looking for a coefficient set for each row. I only wish!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a good algorithm, but I'd "brute force" it with a simple neural net, and then train the hell out of it. Like one node for each of the coefficients simple. I suppose that it would be pretty tough to avoid local maximums in this sort of thing, though, so that might be a crappy solution.

[/ QUOTE ]

This exact thought process of "ohh, this might be great. Ohhh, wait, local/global problem. Crap." was something I went through yesterday.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

v nice. Thanks.

re bolded part: would that, in the end, matter? Obv it would be best to not have uncorrelated data for sake of computational time, but, I would assume that as long as there is a lot of data, the coefficient on uncorrelated terms --> 0, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, in principle you'd get 0 for an uncorrelated data, it just can increase the computational cost by a big factor if you try to 'brute force' it.

If I had to solve such a problem I would try to formulate a hypothesis, which would take the physics of the process into account.