Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: citanul cleaning bbv/b4l discussion/rants

[ QUOTE ]
andathar: What did you think would be the result of a OOT-like mass-culling on a forum that was often used as an alternative to OOT? Gentle and sweet logical acceptence, or BASTARD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not seeing this 'mass culling' part, with the exception of 17,000 yvesaint threads that put gildwulf over the edge
Old 02-22-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

tbqh, I think that 'gay' and 'retarded' are acceptable, although if you check really carefully, I've never called anything 'gay' over 10K posts either and yet have managed to be somewhat sarcastic when called upon

[/ QUOTE ]

You had to know this was coming.

BTW - I see nothing wrong with this.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
andathar: What did you think would be the result of a OOT-like mass-culling on a forum that was often used as an alternative to OOT? Gentle and sweet logical acceptence, or BASTARD?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not seeing this 'mass culling' part, with the exception of 17,000 yvesaint threads that put gildwulf over the edge

[/ QUOTE ]

Choice A: IP Ban yves.

Choice B: Martial law; "ZOMG YOU ARE GONNA HATE ME"

Which choice makes the most sense? Taking a martial law approach on the Internet basically never has the intended outcomes.

PS: Choice C: BASTARD.

touche

like I said, you get (curtailed) privileges back after the inevitable Wave of Internet Outrage is done with

Strategy in BBV? [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Metaforum obv [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-22-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Teetster,

We are attempting to remove real racism and play racism both. Just because you think that something has become everyday vernacular doesn't mean that it has. Just because you think that "nigga plz" isn't racist doesn't mean that it is. Further, promoting the widespread use of such epithets undermines the arguments against real racists.

I am personally not very willing to negotiate on the "gay/ghey" stance, just as I'm not willing to negotiate on the racism stance, though I can continue to attempt to clarify.

On the "retarded" stance, there is ongoing discussion of whether or not my stance is reasonable considering that many actually mean "impaired learning or comprehension abilities" when they say retarded.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, an actual reply. I really wasn't expecting that.

So, basically what you're saying is:

a) You're banning or temp-banning individuals who use certain terms that you deem inappropriate. That list apparently includes some forms of slang, references to gaiety, lack of mental acuity and death via fire.

b) Obviously as you and adanthar keep insisting you're banning racist stuff. True racist commentary has almost never happened here so I expect little will come of that.

In regards to topic (a) do you plan to publish a lexicon of words that are no longer allowed?

Reason I ask, is I am planning a long B&M session tonight at which I will likely be sucked out on for at least one large pot. I will then want to come here to complain, vent and berate the opponent's horrible play.

Standard, yes?

I'd like to know how I will be allowed to do that, ideally, in an entertaining fashion.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OSU: I dont think you get the problem. Posters saying Die in a Fire to every thread is bad, sure but can be dealt with by banning someone who does it a lot. But when you make a blanket rule about it, the first thing that will happen is an actual good poster will see the humor behind circumventing the rules and will do so. Then they need to be dealt with. The note on tone thing that gild did was fine, but he enforced it without regard to context too often, and more importantly he let the needling get under his skin and banned people for breaking his rules, rather than for being offensive.

Anyway, its funny that you are advocating ignoring things that you do not like in support for the heavy-handed cit modship.

And by funny I mean hypocritical and wrong.

--GA

[/ QUOTE ]

GA,

I'm sure you've read ATF threads about why did i get a * and why is daryn so lame and things like that.

The main problem is that at first, enforcement was selective. This was fine to those that were graced by the gods, but for those that weren't it was unacceptable. So then they had to become nits and tackle everybody, and from what I gather, OOT started to suck. Except that OOT really started to suck when they started ******ing anybody new there, so that nobody developed into a good poster.

Your argument here seems to be that this is what will happen to BBV. Well, that's kinda how it was. in the first 48 hours of hellfire and brimstone thread, adanthar said that unless it's funny, tempbans will take place. That's the key, a well placed humorous barb would look the other way. The trouble is, people kept trying to be funny and, well, sucked. Then it got out of hand. So what option is left? Anarchy?

Racial, sexual and religious epithets are ridiculously stupid. Why the hell is there such a fight over it? I've yet to see one halfway decent argument for why the elimination of n bombs is a bad thing. The basic arguments that are being used by posters here are "i wanna be able to tell people to die in a fire and drop nbombs, this sux."

"I HAS A GIMMICK. NOOOOOO, THEY BE STEALIN MY GIMMICK"
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Teetster,

We are attempting to remove real racism and play racism both. Just because you think that something has become everyday vernacular doesn't mean that it has. Just because you think that "nigga plz" isn't racist doesn't mean that it is. Further, promoting the widespread use of such epithets undermines the arguments against real racists.

I am personally not very willing to negotiate on the "gay/ghey" stance, just as I'm not willing to negotiate on the racism stance, though I can continue to attempt to clarify.

On the "retarded" stance, there is ongoing discussion of whether or not my stance is reasonable considering that many actually mean "impaired learning or comprehension abilities" when they say retarded.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, an actual reply. I really wasn't expecting that.

So, basically what you're saying is:

a) You're banning or temp-banning individuals who use certain terms that you deem inappropriate. That list apparently includes some forms of slang, references to gaiety, lack of mental acuity and death via fire.

b) Obviously as you and adanthar keep insisting you're banning racist stuff. True racist commentary has almost never happened here so I expect little will come of that.

In regards to topic (a) do you plan to publish a lexicon of words that are no longer allowed?

Reason I ask, is I am planning a long B&M session tonight at which I will likely be sucked out on for at least one large pot. I will then want to come here to complain, vent and berate the opponent's horrible play.

Standard, yes?

I'd like to know how I will be allowed to do that, ideally, in an entertaining fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't care how you do it, Teetster, but please avoid using the phrase "sucked out"...it's offensive to the homosexual community.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
like I said, you get (curtailed) privileges back after the inevitable Wave of Internet Outrage is done with

[/ QUOTE ]

Adanthar, <3 you.

But what the hell is the point in curtailing priviledges and then giving them back a week later other than just pissing people off? It doesn't teach a lesson, it just looks like a power trip.

Personally, I feel no outrage at all, it's a freaking internet forum, but the overreaction is silly.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Adanthar, <3 you.

But what the hell is the point in curtailing priviledges and then giving them back a week later other than just pissing people off? It doesn't teach a lesson, it just looks like a power trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Your argument here seems to be that this is what will happen to BBV. Well, that's kinda how it was. in the first 48 hours of hellfire and brimstone thread, adanthar said that unless it's funny, tempbans will take place. That's the key, a well placed humorous barb would look the other way. The trouble is, people kept trying to be funny and, well, sucked. Then it got out of hand. So what option is left? Anarchy?

[/ QUOTE ]

pretty much this.
Closed Thread