Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 AM

Default Re: Greatest People of All Time

No love for Euler, most prolific of mathematicians?

Most of the others I would name have already been named.

For a short list I am reluctant to include anyone who merely happened to be first to an idea that was "in the air" - I wonder whether anything from Fermi or Feynman or the transistor guys was really more than a few years ahead of its time. In math, Euclid and Gauss are in... but I wouldn't list either Newton or Leibniz, since they both came to the calculus, and their calculus was really just evolutionary from things like Cavalieri's Method for volumns. In music, I would list Beethoven and Wagner, for doing what had not been done before - but not Bach or Mahler, as much as I love their music, it was more backward- than forward-looking so much of the time.

Another nominee from antiquity: Akhenaton, for some very progressive politics and a willingness to turn an old religion upside down. He got killed for his trouble, of course.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, because i am not mature enough for SMP,

in before "jesus"

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to stipulate Jesus just because I am too tired for the discussion that follows whenever Jesus is mentioned.

[/ QUOTE ]
Monty Python
Old 10-23-2007, 05:10 AM

That's a shame to not mention Darwin!

Aristotel
Newton
Darwin
Einstein
Max Plank

Top 5 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 10-23-2007, 05:37 AM

Caesar Augustus.

The greatest politician of all time without question. Ended civil war and created the Roman peace which lasted 300 years. Brought Rome into a golden age in which many of the greatest artists and works of art were produced. Turned Rome from a Republic into an Empire which lasted until the middle ages. Probably had the most amount of impact on a single civilization out of any person in history, and inadvertedly has impacted our own.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, just going for obscurity, there are probably very few men in history who have ever saved more lives than Ignatius Semmelweis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Saves FTW!

All kidding aside: Jesus (who's obviously in a class all by himself) is the number one person of all time!

An extremely distant second: all of the Apostles

An even more distant third: Socrates and Plato and their whole crowd (Socrates essentially preached the doctrine of moderation. Its interesting to note that God told Paul in a dream to go to the Greeks. Maybe God knew something about the Greeks philosophy and openess to God's word?)

I have to seriously study history to make any more nominations to this "Greatest People of All Time Group".

Acts 16 (The Message)
The Message (MSG)
Eugene H. Peterson

Acts 16
A Dream Gave Paul His Map
1-3Paul came first to Derbe, then Lystra. He found a disciple there by the name of Timothy, son of a devout Jewish mother and Greek father. Friends in Lystra and Iconium all said what a fine young man he was. Paul wanted to recruit him for their mission, but first took him aside and circumcised him so he wouldn't offend the Jews who lived in those parts. They all knew that his father was Greek.
4-5As they traveled from town to town, they presented the simple guidelines the Jerusalem apostles and leaders had come up with. That turned out to be most helpful. Day after day the congregations became stronger in faith and larger in size.

6-8They went to Phrygia, and then on through the region of Galatia. Their plan was to turn west into Asia province, but the Holy Spirit blocked that route. So they went to Mysia and tried to go north to Bithynia, but the Spirit of Jesus wouldn't let them go there either. Proceeding on through Mysia, they went down to the seaport Troas.

9-10That night Paul had a dream: A Macedonian stood on the far shore and called across the sea, "Come over to Macedonia and help us!" The dream gave Paul his map. We went to work at once getting things ready to cross over to Macedonia. All the pieces had come together. We knew now for sure that God had called us to preach the good news to the Europeans.

11-12Putting out from the harbor at Troas, we made a straight run for Samothrace. The next day we tied up at New City and walked from there to Philippi, the main city in that part of Macedonia and, even more importantly, a Roman colony. We lingered there several days.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus (who's obviously in a class all by himself) is the number one person of all time!

[/ QUOTE ]

That may not be so obvious to a lot of other people
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus (who's obviously in a class all by himself) is the number one person of all time!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is. Either he's the greatest man of all time, or he's the greatest scam artist of all time.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it is. Either he's the greatest man of all time, or he's the greatest scam artist of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I misread his statement a bit. I glanced and thought it read "obviously the number one person of all time". What he actually said is different, and you're right about the greatest man/greatest scam artist. But even if it turns out that Christianity's all a scam should the blame rest on Jesus?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly a scam with a line of prophets spanning 1500 years promising he'd come and saying what he'd do before he got here.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hardly a scam with a line of prophets spanning 1500 years promising he'd come and saying what he'd do before he got here.

[/ QUOTE ]

the scammed rarely realize they've been duped