Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Re: reliable online iq test?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never even heard the word "banalities" before so what could it possibly indicate of my intelligence if I can't find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vocabulary is positively correlated with IQ ldo. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure it is. I'm sure people who have read Shakespeare or who know certain physics equations will be more likely to have an above average IQ too. But that doesn't mean you're smarter because you've learned those things. As we all know, correlation does not equal causation. Maybe they should have asked me my race, gender, and qualifications as well because there is probably some correlation there too.

But, I'm sure Mensa knows more about intelligence testing than I do. So there is probably some reason why the question is a good one. I just don't see how involving words that some people won't know can possibly test for what it's supposed to be testing for.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've never even heard the word "banalities" before so what could it possibly indicate of my intelligence if I can't find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vocabulary is positively correlated with IQ ldo. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they deal with people whose native language is other than english/french, etc?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they deal with people whose native language is other than english/french, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure you've thought your question all the way through. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Ok.

If someone takes an IQ test in a foreign language, how reliable would be the results? Do they design tests for all languages to deal with this problem?
Old 10-21-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok.

If someone takes an IQ test in a foreign language, how reliable would be the results? Do they design tests for all languages to deal with this problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've taken an online IQ test in danish and had no problem, it was all logic and pattern finding, my score was about what i have gotten on other online tests
Old 10-21-2007, 02:16 PM

IQ tests online are designed to make you feel good about yourself.

Anyhow, the fatal flaw is that they're written by people who are dumber than some people taking the test, so errant patterns and the like could lead to different answers.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IQ tests online are designed to make you feel good about yourself.

Anyhow, the fatal flaw is that they're written by people who are dumber than some people taking the test, so errant patterns and the like could lead to different answers.

[/ QUOTE ]
that is interesting, something i noticed was that i found conflicting patterns in one of the ones i took, i guess ill just have to go take the real thing some time, i think mensa has fairly frequent test dates