Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Could a reciever stop the clock by throwing the ball OOB?

[ QUOTE ]
While we're talking about rules, a possible hijack. IIRC there can't be more than 11 men on the field, but there's nothing that states there can be less. Is there anything to stop a team lining up with something like one TE, a WR and slot player on the weak side, QB and RB to make ten, leaving one side of the field open, then if the cornerback moves away, have a wideout subtlely come onto the field before the snap on the strong side for a quick WR screen and easy yards? If legal, a variant would surely be cash money in a goalline situation when you're showing an obvious run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can do this, but the player comming on would have to be set for at least one second before the snap.

I think I may have also heard a rule that the player must come at least 15 yards from the sideline (and can then go get set anywhere), but I may be wrong about that.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
While we're talking about rules, a possible hijack. IIRC there can't be more than 11 men on the field, but there's nothing that states there can be less. Is there anything to stop a team lining up with something like one TE, a WR and slot player on the weak side, QB and RB to make ten, leaving one side of the field open, then if the cornerback moves away, have a wideout subtlely come onto the field before the snap on the strong side for a quick WR screen and easy yards? If legal, a variant would surely be cash money in a goalline situation when you're showing an obvious run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you can do this, but the player comming on would have to be set for at least one second before the snap.

I think I may have also heard a rule that the player must come at least 15 yards from the sideline (and can then go get set anywhere), but I may be wrong about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok few things. First true there can be less than 11 men on offense, but there must be 7 men on the line of scrimage so that's a de facto min. there.

Secondly, this play was legal until 2 years ago, now it's a penelty (delay of game, Unsportsmanlike if you do it multiple times). The rule now states that a team attempted to change personnel (in this case bring the 11th man on) must allow the defense a suitable amount of time to make their own adjustments. Guess who you have to thank for this rule.

Cody
Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I I've also often wondered in a situation like this; your team is up by less than 1 score, there are like 10 seconds left, you are in good field position, and the other team has one time out. Snap the ball to your fastest player and have him sprint for your own goal line. You should be able to run off the full 10 seconds or so before he gets caught and not have to take the risk of a kneel-timeout-punt sequence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless your QB runs back and drops the ball in the endzone thinking it's a safety. Like kid did in a highschool game here a couple years ago for his division championship.

b
Old 10-17-2007, 08:14 PM

i've always talked about how i would coach my receivers to do this when defenses are giving up the middle in 2:00 drill situations and how i would also coach my RBs to throw it out of bounds if they were gonna get stuck for a loss, and you guys have gone and taken my genius ideas.

i think the only problem with the strategy in this thread is that WRs are too liable to mess up and leave floaters that could just get picked off by DBs guarding the sideline
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM

Re that UCB game Tom and others are angry about. If that kid had thrown and incomplete pass past the line of scrimmage 1) would the clock have been stopped after the play while the penalty was assessed? If not, 2) could the official spot the ball, stopping the clock to do so while the FG team ran on the field?

Or alternately, 3) the official runs times off the clock before the offense is allowed to snap the ball (I know this is the case for some penalties).
Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wisconsin repeatedly took an intentional offsides on the kickoff since the clock started on the kick, that's probably what you're thinking of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, that sounds right. Didn't they kick it a few times? I remember the other coach was a bit pissed. Kinda funny.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

why wouldn't the other team just jump offsides which stops the clock? let the offense do it a couple times so they've got a long down situation then jump offsides and give them 5 yards back
Old 10-17-2007, 10:46 PM

Anyone hear the head rules official on NFL Network? He said that the Franks catch in the GB-Washington game should have been a force-out - and a TD. And I had GB -3.

I say let the force-outs be reviewable - they seem to be missing them a lot.
Old 10-18-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure about NFL, but in college isn't this illegal substitution? I think you have to break huddle with all the players for that play in the huddle, if someone runs onto the field after the huddle breaks it's illegal sub.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Incoming subs must go past the closest set of field numbers prior to the snap. Although nothing is mentioned (as far as I can tell) about a player skipping the huddle and acting like he is being taken out and then stopping just before the sideline.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is indeed legal.. but the player in question has to be within the hashes IIRC before the ball is snapped. We actually ran this play when I was in HS.