Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Spoke with my Congressman yesterday

It took way too long, but my Congressman, Ron Lewis (R-KY) called me yesterday and we chatted about the proposed internet gambling legislation.

Congressman Lewis was a co-sponsor of similar legislation in past years, but has not signed onto HR 4777 as of yet. We had a very healthy exchange of ideas and the call was very enjoyable (as well as productive, I hope). He expressed that as a conservative he believes in giving people freedoms to make both "good" choices as well as "bad" choices, and he referenced his support of both tobacco and distilled sprits.

He stated that his chief-of-staff also plays Texas Hold Em, probrably plays online and would likely agree with my concerns about this bill. He dismissed the concerns of under-age players by stating that underage people also get ahold of tobacco and alcohol.

Even from a moral/biblical standpoint, the Congressman was very down to earth and common-sensical. Since he is a former Baptist preacher, I was fairly sure his past sponsorship of similar legislation came from a moral standpoint along with the support this movement has from groups such as The Christian Coalition. He related to me that there are no direct passages in the Bible condemning gambling, and told me there was essentially gambling involved in picking the twelth apostle when Judas turned heel.

Overall, it was a very interesting conversation that had this particular Congressman arguing against the legislation almost better than I was. He told me he definately would not sign on as a co-sponsor but would not totally commit to me that he would not vote for it. Given the context of the conversation, however, I would be very suprised should he decide that way.

Les
Old 06-17-2006, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Spoke with my Congressman yesterday

He'll go with whatever side pays him the most money or can get him re-elected.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:21 PM

Nice post Les,

I enjoyed reading the recap!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:02 AM

Ron Lewis for President!
Old 06-18-2006, 02:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It took way too long, but my Congressman, Ron Lewis (R-KY) called me yesterday and we chatted about the proposed internet gambling legislation.

Congressman Lewis was a co-sponsor of similar legislation in past years, but has not signed onto HR 4777 as of yet. We had a very healthy exchange of ideas and the call was very enjoyable (as well as productive, I hope). He expressed that as a conservative he believes in giving people freedoms to make both "good" choices as well as "bad" choices, and he referenced his support of both tobacco and distilled sprits.

He stated that his chief-of-staff also plays Texas Hold Em, probrably plays online and would likely agree with my concerns about this bill. He dismissed the concerns of under-age players by stating that underage people also get ahold of tobacco and alcohol.

Even from a moral/biblical standpoint, the Congressman was very down to earth and common-sensical. Since he is a former Baptist preacher, I was fairly sure his past sponsorship of similar legislation came from a moral standpoint along with the support this movement has from groups such as The Christian Coalition. He related to me that there are no direct passages in the Bible condemning gambling , and told me there was essentially gambling involved in picking the twelth apostle when Judas turned heel.

Overall, it was a very interesting conversation that had this particular Congressman arguing against the legislation almost better than I was. He told me he definately would not sign on as a co-sponsor but would not totally commit to me that he would not vote for it. Given the context of the conversation, however, I would be very suprised should he decide that way.

Les

[/ QUOTE ]

"Games of chance are strictly forbidden by Deuteronomy 7"

I am glad to hear though that you got this response from someone with that belief system and that you are so vested in the political process in general.

That being said I just can't imagine under any normal circumstances any of these bills becoming law this congress-you are free to disagree.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, did you read Deuteronomy 7? I looked it up out of curiosity, and it has absolutely nothing to do with games of chance. It's about Israel wiping out all other nations in the promised land.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, did you read Deuteronomy 7? I looked it up out of curiosity, and it has absolutely nothing to do with games of chance. It's about Israel wiping out all other nations in the promised land.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol I remember that episode too and I thought to myself those Harvard nerds have never read the Bible.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol I remember that episode too and I thought to myself those Harvard nerds have never read the Bible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I am pretty sure it is deliberately mistaken, as are many thing on the Simpsons. Flanders also names a lot of biblical characters and events that don't exist.

The Serpent of Rehaboam?
The Well of Zohassadar?
The Bridal Feast of Beth Chedruharazzeb?
Old 06-19-2006, 03:02 AM

That was a refreshing and encouraging post until he got wishy washy on how he would vote. The problem is many of these pols are afraid to go on record against a bill like this. Heaven forbid he should make the same articulate argument to those who support the bill if he vited against it.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:48 PM

He called back this afternoon and left me a message (I was in a meeting at work). He says that we were both wrong and that he has co-sponsored this and wants to talk to me some more about the issue. I obviously am not sure what to think about this. Hopefully we will be able to hook up sometime tomorrow.

Les