Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2007, 09:58 PM

Default Genius New Strategy

For a while now, I've been considering adopting a radical new sports betting strategy. First, a bit of background:

I've been a big time sports fan for 20 years, and within the last couple of years, began betting sports fairly regularly for not insignificant portions of my income. However, as I'm sure is the case for 90% or more of amateurs venturing into the handicapping field, I've steadily donated to sports books during this time. I'm not a guy that will go 5-5 and lose to the juice; rather, I'll go 2-8 and lose significantly more money to losing bets than to the juice. I mostly bet college football, NFL, and MLB, and my handicapping approach is unsophisticated - I'll bet mostly on my first instinct upon looking at the lines, using my sports knowledge, opinions, and a minor amount of collaborative research to place bets.

Given these circumstances, let's say that going forward, I continue with my tried and true losing handicapping methods as usual...except I fade myself on all bets. Every time the home team looks good, I throw a unit on the away team. Every time it looks like a favorite is laying too many points to cover, I'll throw a unit on the underdog. Etc etc.

How can this not produce results? My theory is that I'm a losing sports better, not that I merely struggle to beat the vig, and I have a moderate sample size of data to support this assertion.

The easiest application of this strategy will be on football games, where the spread -110 either way, as opposed to MLB where the flip side of the +125 moneyline steals I think I see is a garbage -130 payout. Any advice or insight before I roll this approach out full bore come NCAA season?

cliff notes: Losing sports bettor can win big $$$ by maintaining handicapping approach and simply fading self?