Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2007, 04:39 PM

Default Hollywood Park 6/12 limit, Saturday, 9/16 TR

I decided yesterday that I was in need of a little extra spending money. So I went to Hollywood Park around 2 pm and get on the list for the 6/12 game. Saturdays are still busy there, and I waited about 20 minutes to get sat on the other side of the rail. In the mean time, I bought a chow mein boxed meal from the deli, which was surprisingly good for looking like cat barf. Besides, it was only 5 bucks.
I get seated at table 12 on the edge of the high limit section, in seat 5. To my immediate left was an older Asian gentlemen who had some idea of how to play postflop but his starting hands were very loose, (AZN from now on). The next notable player was to his left, a middle aged black guy (MABG), who was very passive, typical, etc. My favorite player of all was sitting two to my right, a young very very fat black guy who I've tangled with before in this game. He is very aggressive preflop with most hands, which makes it difficult to assign a range, and c-bet most any flop if he's first to act, and call down if he's last to act. (YBG) Notable hands:

My second hand I am in the small blind and see A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG open raises and nearly everyone sees it to me, I call. The big blind makes it 3 bets and everyone calls. This is not where I wanted to be. Flop:

T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Baaallin. I lead out, couple of calls, YBG raises, more people join, I 3 pop, all calls. Massive Massive pot. Turn is the [censored] beautiful 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], I've never in 4 years of playing had a straight flush. Ever. This is awesome and I can barely contain myself. I bet and once it gets to YBG you can tell he's itching for the board to pair, he's got 33-TT obviously. River is the best card ever, another 3. I bet, eveyone else folds, he raises, I 3 pop, he caps. As I reach for my chips, I ask the dealer if I am allowed to go past it, raise more. I didn't think so because we weren't HU on the beginning of the street, and she says no. I smile and say its ok and call and flip my hand. "Straight flush" she announces. YBG turns over TT and smiles and proudly anounces "Full house", pointing his cards to me as if to explain to my poor ass why he would take the money. I smile and motion to the board. He shuts up and I get it shipped. Dealer then says to me : "you know you could've raised again". Inside I start to kick myself for not making sure before I called, but she said she messed up explaining to me. Whatever, he didn't have that much left anyway.

Later on I pick up AA on the button, there are 3 calls in front, I raise, all 5 call. Flop is 6 4 K all [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], I have the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. checks around to MABG who bets, I raise, everyone folds and he calls. Turn is a brick non spade, he checks I bet he calls. River is a non spade Q, he checks I bet he calls. He turns over 4 6 o and I smile and say good hand. This is a great table.

By 4:30 I have a sizable stack, about 200 on the table and about 300 in a rack. Then I catch two great hands. I pick up AA again on the button, some standard preflop action, I raise, everyone sees the flop, maybe 5 handed. Flop is 8 8 x. Everyone checks, I bet, all call. Turn A. Everyone checks, I bet, all fold except AZN who check raises me from the SB! WTF, weird play. Whatever, I 3 bet. He gets worried and calls. River he checks I bet he calls, and he shows K8. Boom.

The last big hand I have I am dealt KQ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in middle position. YBG raises in EP and I 3 bet. Theres like 4 callers, he caps, all call. Flop is A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hmmmm. He bets, I raise, all folds, he calls. Turn is a rag, he checks, I bet, he check raises ?!??!?!?! I call. River is a sexy T, no club. He checks, I bet, he turns to the dealer and gets a pissed look on his face, throws in 6 chips, and says "could'nt have put a nother club up there, huh?" He flips A7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and my suckout ass gets shipped the pot.

I leave at 6:00 with $770, up about $500. It was a very good day.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Hollywood Park 6/12 limit, Saturday, 9/16 TR

Good trip report. I go to HP occasionally, but play NL. I've been playing some limit online lately. How does the HP 6-12 game compare to online games?
Old 09-16-2007, 05:17 PM

Post seems a bit racist.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Humble Pie seems a bit racist.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate
Old 09-16-2007, 06:23 PM

Mauricio, commonly people who play something like 2/4 limit online feel like its comparable to something like 6/12 or even 15/30. I have never played as high as 15/30 but I feel like the level of play isn't especially better or anything there from what I've scouted.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mauricio, commonly people who play something like 2/4 limit online feel like its comparable to something like 6/12 or even 15/30. I have never played as high as 15/30 but I feel like the level of play isn't especially better or anything there from what I've scouted.

[/ QUOTE ]

The level of play at the HP $15-30 is often awful or worse. But don't make it for a totally easy game. The game gets insane aggressive sometimes and if you don't have the stomach and anti tilt for it, you will get murdered.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite player of all was sitting two to my right, a young very very fat black guy who I've tangled with before in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that was KK. He looks like Shrek, right?
Old 09-16-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good trip report. I go to HP occasionally, but play NL. I've been playing some limit online lately. How does the HP 6-12 game compare to online games?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mostly play NL, you probably won't do too well in the 6 game there. It's not that the game is tough, it's just that the rake is high live, and making the correct decision in limit hold em requires a complicated thinking process, regardless of how bad your opponents are.

The strategy adjustments you have to make live are pretty basic. You should value raise less vs. most people on later streets, because a lot of players simply will not fire on the end without the nuts or close to it. Also, a lot of the time a 3rd flush card comes on 4th, they will check, no matter how strong their hand is. This oftens means you should take a free card. Don't interpret it as them saying "I have nothing"
In reality, they can easily have a set and be legitimately afraid you have a flush. They will still call you with any pair, but they don't wanna put themselves in a spot to get raised.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My favorite player of all was sitting two to my right, a young very very fat black guy who I've tangled with before in this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing that was KK. He looks like Shrek, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

KK's a bit older, no?

Otherwise, the description fits. LOL @ Shrek
Old 09-17-2007, 05:11 PM

yea, that sounds right. btw dropped 500 last night, absolutely sick bad run, standard. Best hand of night:

KQ in MP, 1 call, I raise, like 5 people to the flop. KTx, one [censored] spade. I have no spades. checks, I bet, some callers. Turn another spade. Checks, I bet, some callers. river spade, some guy leads I laugh and fold. He shows QT spades. I ran so [censored] bad there yesterday.