Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2006, 10:01 AM
 is offline

Default Hands from uclabruinz\'s Monday Stuper Win - Standard or Style?

First off, congrats to ucla on this win (I know it's a bit old, but people should never be sick of hearing that). Crazy how you were down to t429 when you had to post the BB of t400 and was one card away from being eliminated. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, thanks for sharing this hand history and helping ch_mps like me plug some leaks. Now, on with the discussion.

Hand 1

9-handed. Blinds 25/50. ucla has t1355 and is dealt AJo UTG+1.

UTG folds, <font color="red"> ucla folds</font>

Kramer's comments/questions: Is this fold standard? I'd normally open here with 66+, AT+. I realize though that our stack is awkward to make any sort of c-bet and cannot handle a reraise PF. I guess then, in a sense, opening with AJo here would be like opening with any 2. Perhaps leak #1 for me?

Hand 2

9-handed. Blinds 25/50. ucla has t1280 and is dealt 77 in the CO.

MP1 (t805) opens for 200. <font color="red"> ucla folds </font>

Kramer's comments/questions: This one feels pretty standard to me. Just wondering if anyone gets frisky here and tries to isolate?

Hand 3

9-handed. Blinds 25/50. ucla has t1280 and is dealt QJo in MP1.

<font color="red"> ucla open folds </font>

Kramer's comments/questions: Again, probably another leak, but I will often open with this hand here.

Hand 4

9-handed. Blinds 50/100. ucla has t1280 and is dealt 77 in MP2. SB has t805 and BB has t555.

Kramer's comments/questions: Not sure how I'd play this (sometimes I think I would raise and call a reraise and sometimes I would just open push) but I am almost never open-folding with 13BBs with 77 here. Thoughts?

Hand 5

9-handed. Blinds 75/150. ucla has t1330 and is dealt 77 on the Button.

CO (t1740) opens for 450. <font color="red"> ucla pushes </font>

Kramer's comments/questions: Ucla spiked his 7 on the flop against CO's AA. I was just wondering if anyone waits until the turn or river to suck out so that it stings more for CO. HAHA, jk... this play is standard also. nh.

Hand 6

9-handed. Blinds 75/150. ucla has t2885 and is dealt 77 UTG+1 (man, you get dealt 77 a lot). SB has t6332 and BB has t2020.

Kramer's comments/questions: Again, now with 19BBs, I'm opening a fairly wide range here. Same leak rearing it's ugly head for me?

Hand 7

9-handed. Blinds 100/200. ucla has t2410 and is dealt AJo UTG. SB has t610 and BB has t2055.

Kramer's comments/questions: Anyone else push this?

Hand 8

8-handed. Blinds 100/200/a10. ucla has t5115 and is dealt AQo UTG. SB (ActionBob) has t2520 and BB has t3966.

Kramer's comments/questions: Since we know I open pretty light here, I'm definitely opening with AQ. I'm curious if anyone can rationalize this fold.

Hand 9

9-handed. Blinds 100/200/a10. ucla has t5505 and is dealt 69s in the BB.

Button (t808) opens for 600. <font color="red"> ucla calls </font>

Kramer's comments/questions: I suppose were are getting 2:1 on this call (which is effectively a push since we are never folding to any flop I presume). Anyone fold this though?

Hand 10

9-handed. Blinds 100/200/a10. ucla has t4687 and is dealt KTo in the SB.

MP (t14045) limps, <font color="red"> ucla completes</font>, BB (t3825) checks.

Flop comes KJ6 with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s. Checked to MP who bets 200, <font color="red"> ucla raises to 800</font>

Kramer's comments/questions: This hand is interesting because of our stack size. Are we deep enough to just call and keep the pot small and potentially let BB in cheap. How does everyone feel about this hand?

Hand 11

9-handed. Blinds 150/300/a15. ucla has t3672 and is dealt A6o on the Button. SB has t3610 and BB has t7990.

<font color="red"> ucla open folds</font>

Kramer's comments/questions: Anyone else open-push here?

Hand 12

8-handed. Blinds 300/600/a30. ucla has t5244 and is dealt TT in the SB.

UTG+1 (t24K) opens for 1500, MP pushes for ~t10K, <font color="red"> ucla folds</font>

Kramer's comments/questions: I think UTG+1's range is pretty wide because he's so deep. Also, with only 15BBs, I think MP's range might be as wide as 66+, AT+, KQ. I think I get my chips in here. Thoughts?

Hand 13

8-handed. Blinds 400/800/a40. ucla has ~t14K and is dealt 55 UTG+1. SB has ~t10K and BB has ~t5K.

<font color="red"> ucla open folds</font>

Kramer's comments/questions: Does anyone else raise here hoping to get HU with BB?

Hand 14

9-handed. Blinds 400/800/a40. ucla has ~t15.6K and is dealt JJ in the CO.

UTG min-raises to 1600, LP1 pushes for 3500 <font color="red"> ucla flat calls</font>

Kramer's comments/questions: Understood that pushing might allow UTG to play perfect or closer to it, but do we really want to call of over 1/5 of our stack to see if an over flops? I don't want to presume to know what ucla's flop plan was, but I'd be looking to iso-push here to get HU with the short stack.

Something I found interesting overall is that ucla seems to rarely raise with a hand that he wouldn't be able to call a reraise with. Obviously, this means his opening range is a lot tighter than usual. I was wondering what others' thoughts were on this "style."

Anyway, my focus was more on the beginning game than end game, so I'll stop there. If we get some good value out of talking about specific hands, perhaps I'll even finish this tournament up.