Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2007, 10:49 PM

Default $119 FTP Interesting bubble hand

As you guys know I don't post hands very often, but this was a really interesting hand in my opinion. The most important part to me is rosedog's stack (he's utg). I like my play here in the BB but I think I also like the AJo call here with a thinking BB player. The reason it's hard to pull off this play successfully as the SB is because this situation essentially never comes up, and you have to have a lot of trust in your read on the BB.

After I shoved someone asked me if I thought the AJ call was good, and I initially said no because I don't remember the last time I squeezed in this situation without a real hand, and admittedly I was 1 tabling when I made this play, whereas I would almost always default fold while 10 tabling.

Thoughts on my play and the SB play?

Full Tilt Poker Game #4009118809: $110 + $9 Sit & Go (Turbo) (30475106), Table 1 - 150/300 - No Limit Hold'em - 22:33:18 ET - 2007/10/29
Seat 1: z32fanatic (5,515)
Seat 2: Rosedog (1,885)
Seat 4: ftbplaya_69 (3,145)
Seat 8: Jawarhalo (2,955)
Jawarhalo posts the small blind of 150
z32fanatic posts the big blind of 300
The button is in seat #4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to z32fanatic [8c 7h]
Rosedog folds
ftbplaya_69 raises to 900
Jawarhalo calls 750
z32fanatic raises to 5,515, and is all in
ftbplaya_69 has 15 seconds left to act
ftbplaya_69 folds
Jawarhalo calls 2,055, and is all in
z32fanatic shows [8c 7h]
Jawarhalo shows [Jc Ah]
Uncalled bet of 2,560 returned to z32fanatic
Old 10-29-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Re: $119 FTP Interesting bubble hand

Your play should depend on how light SB calls the first raise. Some players will only call in this spot with AA and others are retarded and will call with all sorts of crap that they can fold to a shove.

I don't care for SB's play at all with his hand. If he expects you to squeeze a ton, he's essentially guaranteeing himself a showdown when he could pick up 1200 chips by shoving.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:08 PM

I really don't like how you or the small blind played it. Once small blind calls the first time, he'll see his stack is about the same as the shorties and just call again with whatever hand he obviously thought was pretty and wanted to see a flop with before. Yes, in 2 hands Shortie will have 1400 while he has 2000 if he folds, but a if a guy doesn't try and reraise shove to try and grab some fold equity, I don't think we can give him enough credit to realize that. So, I think you get called almost all of the time here, and when you do get called, if you lose the hand you're third in chips instead of chiplead.

In small blind's spot I don't see why he didn't shove if he wanted to play the hand, but once he calls and you shove he's getting crazy odds without the much of a chip advantage on fourth so I think his second call is fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 AM

Lol at 300 blinds. Fold or shove for Jarwhalo.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:13 AM

Okay, so I did some math and now I like your shove. Some anticipated dead money makes a lot more difference than I anticipated, and 78 runs decent in 3 way pots when the dead money isn't there.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:24 AM

I don't like it and I think his call with AJ is good. Once he calls preflop he is the basically the short stack there is tons of overlay and he becomes chip leader if he wins. The thing is so many people will just think durrrrrr I have two face cards or I have a pair call. I like it a lot more if shorty is shorter.
Edit: Just thought about it more and realized there is so much overlay that you need like no FE for it be good since it will be +EV if you can get it HU with all this overlay. This is actually really interesting come someone post some math.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:11 AM

Your squeeze here was very aggressive and without having reads on the players I cannot say for certain whether it is right or wrong. With the button raising 3xBB and SB call I think I would have laid your junk down and hoped the 2 players fought to the death and one either bubbled or was left decimated.

If it was a minimum raise and call I would have liked your squeeze better. However, with chip stacks as they were it is not a dreadful attempt to steal and will work a good percentage of the time. And I do think his call with AJ is very loose and hopeful more than confident he has the best of it.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:14 AM

I'm not a fan. People are just too dumb to fold (you can tell how good he is by his initial flat call). The button and SB's play were horrible. Push/fold for both of them.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:54 AM

I don't like this play just because both of them will fold so rarely, and yes you have a ton of dead $ in the pot, but the SB shows up here with huge hands often enough to really hurt your equity.

Ftbplaya is a donkey, his play was awful as it usually is, but Jawarhalo is actually decent, and I'm 95% sure that he was trying to stop n' go here.

This is a good play if the villains are donkeys, but replace one of the villains with a decent player and the range tightens up so much. If a good player open raises the button like this he is a) not folding b) generally very strong. If a decent player calls out of the small blind he is also rarely ever folding, and is either trapping or trying to stop n go. A good sb's cold calling range here is generally heavily weighted toward AA, and then something like 88-JJ, ATs+, and AJo+ if he's looking to stop n go.

Your equity against that range is just under 30%, and you need alot more dead $ to make the shove profitable.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:26 PM

I hate BB's play.
I hate SB's play.
I like hero's play.