Old 11-19-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

i really hate how rankings are always retrospective instead of predictive
Old 11-19-2007, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I don't mind if that's the goal set out by the rankers. For instance, would you put B.J. Penn in the top 10 lightweights in the world, even though he's only fought in the weight class once in the past 4 years?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:52 PM

i just bought the 9.99 a month thing on ufc.com and have been watching tons of older fights. pretty sweet deal.

longtime ufc viewers pls discuss the following:

1. bruce buffer needs to die.

2. mike goldberg seems like a nice guy, but he's just a huge loser. he's been a 4th rate announcer for a long time in the sports world. really surprised they can't do better. they should pay jim lampley a ton to move over. he could be an mma expert in like 6 months and his play by play would really elevate the broadcast (even bob papa would be a huge upgrade and i'm sure he would do it). mike goldberg should do pro wrestling.

3. rogan rules.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:02 PM

lapoker,

True on all accounts.

I actually think the UFC On Demand deal isn't as sweet as I first thought. It's cool to have all those fights, but 1) you can get them through "other" means and 2) they've hardly added any Pride fights since I signed up (almost 4 months ago I think). I'll probably resubscribe just for the prelim fights, but I think it's lacking a bit. Also, having to redownload fights (unless you know how to remove the DRM protection [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) every 2 or 3 months is ridiculous.

Edit: Lampley would never do MMA, at least not for an amount of money that the UFC would pay. He's been very vocal about being anti-MMA on the HBO boxing shows. I think my dream commentating group would be something like: one of: Mauro Ranallo/Stephen Quadros, Max Kellerman as the color guy, Randy Couture as the former athlete analyst, and Rogan doing post-fight interviews.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:18 PM

yah - lampley was just a dream scenario.

i'd love it if max got involved but he's such a boxing guy. agree that couture is great in the booth.

on the ufc on demand thing, i've only had it for 2 days so there's a ton of stuff to watch. i may cancel it at some point, but it's 10 bucks and maybe if we all pay for it they can get lampley.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:22 PM

Max is another dream guy, but he has defended MMA when Lampley and Merchant went off on it during an HBO broadcast this year. It was pretty awesome.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Max is another dream guy, but he has defended MMA when Lampley and Merchant went off on it during an HBO broadcast this year. It was pretty awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up with the Kellerman's, including Max, and there is no way he would do MMA
Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I don't mind if that's the goal set out by the rankers. For instance, would you put B.J. Penn in the top 10 lightweights in the world, even though he's only fought in the weight class once in the past 4 years?

[/ QUOTE ]
penn now fights at lightweight and i think hes pretty clearly one of the ten best fighters in that division, so if i was doing a top ten using my own criteria i would rank him

i just think "who is the best" is a much more interesting question than "who has accomplished the most"
Old 11-20-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
penn now fights at lightweight and i think hes pretty clearly one of the ten best fighters in that division, so if i was doing a top ten using my own criteria i would rank him

i just think "who is the best" is a much more interesting question than "who has accomplished the most"

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, I think "Who is the best" type of rankings are too subjective. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I just prefer as much objectivity as possible.

For instance, I've nearly completed my first beatpaths style graph for the middleweight division. Here's how the system ranks the MW top 10:

1. Anderson Silva
2. Yushin Okami
3. Paulo Filho
4. Matt Lindland
5. Yoshihiro Akiyama
6. Denis Kang
7. Robbie Lawler
8. Rich Franklin
9. Dan Henderson
T. Alan Belcher

I'm gonna start a blog up eventually and have an explanation for this. One criteria that I should note is that I only counted fights in the MW division in the past 3 years. Anyway, Okami benefits a lot from his DQ win over Silva. Belcher's probably the only "huh?" guy on there, and he benefits a lot from his win over Kalib Starnes. The guys at 11 and 12 are Akihiro Gono and Nathan Marquardt.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:20 PM

i am still in the middle of watching every ufc fight i can get my hands on, but would just like to say that rich franklin is (was?) sick. first time i saw him was the silva fight so i didn't really understand how impressive that victory was for silva, but i just watched a bunch of franklin's earlier fights where he just destroys good competition and i was pretty impressed. (i think you made a post about his credentials somewhere after the silva fight, mikey, so that's why i checked him out). i watched him vs tanner/shamrock/quarry/dewees/mcdonald and jorge rivera. wow.
Closed Thread