Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Default 25nl: turn trips, get checkraised

villain is unknown

Full Tilt Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

BB ($9.05)
UTG ($25.85)
Hero ($25.35)
Button ($29.10)
SB ($25.40)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $0.85</font>, Hero calls $0.85, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $0.60.

Flop: ($2.65) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $0.25</font>, UTG calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, BB folds, UTG calls $2.25.

Turn: ($7.90) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $13</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: 25nl: turn trips, get checkraised

I think I would want to fold but I don't think I could do it. Without reads I think his pf raise means Ax and the flop c/c says he hit and slowplayed. The $8 to you is 1/3 pot and I think you've only got 3 j outs.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:53 PM

You should fold, unfortunately. He raised UTG - so hands like A3-AT have to be discounted. And you raise the flop, so he has to consider that you might have an ace - making this not a good spot for him to bluff. You're basically hoping here that he is semi-bluffing hearts, if you're continuing with the hand. And although his smooth call of the min-bet on the flop gives some indication that he may have a draw, I think it's unlikely for an unknown to be check/raising a draw on the turn here. More likely that he slowplayed AK or two pair on the flop. Also, don't forget that the Ah is on the board, so he can't have AhXh which would make up most of his suited raising range UTG, probably.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The $8 to you is 1/3 pot and I think you've only got 3 j outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Case A?

But I think you are behind here too. I think he most likely flopped a set of 8s or has AK. I dont think I could fold either though.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Against an unknown UTG raiser, I fold preflop. If you're going to call the flop is fine, but I check behind on the turn. I don't think you get any value out of a worse hand by betting the turn
Old 11-30-2007, 01:07 PM

it was villains two smooth calls OTF that really confused me. with the line villain took, it looked to me like an ax that didnt want to fold the flop, but woke up on the turn when they turned trips
Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 PM

don't like preflop. I'd 3bet this usually.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:55 PM

you guys are all way too excited to 3-bet in position with marginal hands at small stakes. unless you have a significant equity edge which you must be expoiting preflop, it is very often better to utilize your equity AND positional advantage POSTflop rather than preflop. Every time you are considering 3-betting preflop, you should be comparing it to calling preflop and then raising every single flop. See what the differences are, what the risk:reward is, which flops will be great for you, which will be terrible, etc. Then figure out which line is better. And then of course there is also calling every flop and betting/raising every turn, or whatever. Just because you dont take the lead preflop doesnt mean you wont have the advantage postflop. In position, you almost always will - you don't have to just play fit or fold.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys are all way too excited to 3-bet in position with marginal hands at small stakes. unless you have a significant equity edge which you must be expoiting preflop, it is very often better to utilize your equity AND positional advantage POSTflop rather than preflop. Every time you are considering 3-betting preflop, you should be comparing it to calling preflop and then raising every single flop. See what the differences are, what the risk:reward is, which flops will be great for you, which will be terrible, etc. Then figure out which line is better. And then of course there is also calling every flop and betting/raising every turn, or whatever. Just because you dont take the lead preflop doesnt mean you wont have the advantage postflop. In position, you almost always will - you don't have to just play fit or fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post.

As far as the hand goes, I wouldnīt go around folding these types of hands at 25NL too often. Iīm well aware that villianīs line appears to scream of 88, AK, AQ type hands, but if you really donīt have a read on him, I donīt think folding here is correct.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:33 PM

I really dont like this spot. I really think I am behind. I think I would most likely call but not be happy about it.