Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 AM

Default HU Cash Games -- Raise Amount for Deeper Stacks?

I've been playing more and more HU cash games, and I've been wondering what an optimal raise size is once you get deeper.

Let's say that you and your opponent are 200 or 300 BB deep -- what do you think a good standard raise size should be? Typically, I just mash the pot button when starting at 100 BB stacks (3x raise).

I suppose the idea would be to make it a bigger mistake for your opponent to 3-bet you too lightly and also force him to put in a little more money while he'll be defending OOP.

Thoughts?
Old 11-14-2007, 05:11 AM

Default Re: HU Cash Games -- Raise Amount for Deeper Stacks?

I've been thinking about this too. Is tightening up a bit and raising a bit more better when we have about 200xBB stacks?

Another thing I have been thinking about is that how much should I change my hand types when playing deep? Should we stop playing (opening from button) with something like Q5o and begin playing any two suited when deep enough, for instance? And what is deep enough?

What I have been doing is to raise 3xBB always from the button increasing amount of suited hands a bit and reducing the unsuited ones (maybe play something like 43o more often). If opponent reraises I will be more willing to play speculative hands, even something like 32s may be profitable to call when stacks are > 200BB, right? Sometimes I like to 4-bet (mixing speculative/trash for bluff with good hands for value) because now it makes a lot more sense than when 100xBB (surely it's even then correct choice sometimes).

Postflop I play basically the same poker adjusting implied odds/reverse implied odds of course.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:34 AM

A lot of people tighten up a lot when they are deep so this is something you have to keep in mind when you have a hand like top pair. It depends on villain. It doesn't make sense to raise more, maybe you should reraise more often, because people play scared money when deep and they fold to your reraises a lot even though they should be more likely to call a reraise with speculative hands like Kharlog said - because of implied odds.

Don't be afraid of a 3 bet when deep because you have implied odds against guys who do it lightly because there is chance they will give you action when you hit. Don't be afraid of a 3 bet against most guys because they won't be doing it lightly and they will play more tight which is clearly a mistake on their part.

It is nothing wrong with raising Q5o if villain isn't adjusting well to playing deep. You just have to know that you shouldn't felt it when you hit top pair. When playing deep, generally don't go broke with only one pair, even if it is TPTK, which is often the correct play with 100BB's. But, as everything in HU, it depends on villain.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:11 AM

I like raising larger amounts, and 3betting slightly more often with larger 3bets. I do this because my opponent must commit a larger portion of his stack on bluffs/weaker hands and gives me a lot more fold equity.

On the flip side, I've gravitated a lot more to 3x raising because my game has gotten much more aggressive, so I need to protect my bluffs as I'm generally bluffing/semi-bluffing more often than I am extracting value. Against opponents I deem as inept, I will raise 3x when I'm bluffing and 3.5 - 4 times for value.

When stacks get deeper you should be putting more pressure on your opponent, not less or the same.

On a tangent, you should get away from PSBs/mashing pot if you can as I think it's beneficial for your entire game to think about all bets and what you're trying to accomplish rather than promote auto-pilotish behavior.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:37 AM

I tend to always stick to the same pfr of 3x no matter how deep/shallow we are. Good opponent can't put me on a hand (yet) and bad ones will eventually get annoyed and start doing some stupid things (exactly where I want them). Don't forget the math and one of the main poker axioms - in the beginning you're fighting for the blinds => if you hit the gas pedal too hard, at one moment your opponent (typically tightening up at this point) might be correct at folding a lot.

On the other side if villain is not quite observant, calls to much oop then fine, raise more with your stronger hands. Only I see this as an exception, not the rule.

Agree with LJ about putting more pressure when deeper. This I believe is (many times proven) winning formula.