Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: SNG Article written by Jennifear

Meh, I think it's ok from a contrarian approach, but i didn't like that she makes assumptions that she backs up with 'personal experience' rather than from a theretical slant. For example her equity calculations when 4 -handed.

She vaults from doubling up early to having a stack that can abuse the bubble?

She enjoys stealing the blinds in the first 2 levels? Ok those 100 extra chips are going to be a great help.

She suggests that this strategy is best used by someone who is good at deepstack play and doesn't multi-table? Umm, shouldn't that person be playing cash?

I don't think the article was that bad, but certainly not ground-breaking stuff.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 PM

I think it just one of those arguments for playing smallball in SNGs. We all know that you can pull it off with maybe 2-3 tabling, but you simply can't do 6 tabling plus. End of the argument.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think what bugs me the most about her articles is her constant need to show that she's pulling one over on multitablers. I also think she likely exaggerates the effect of an early double-up on equity. Projecting an early double-up into a commanding bubble situation is a stretch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Like it is completely out of the realm of the possibility that you will not be the only big stack on the bubble. I mean in a 9 handed SNG, how many times do you actually arrive to the bubble as the only big stack?
Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM

["- Prepare to fold your non-monster hands.

9 8 is to be read as "Nine High, Crappy Kicker." If you hit top pair, proceed as if you hit second pair, which is not good enough to continue six-handed, in most cases. In addition, if you cannot fold J 10 when two jacks hit the flop, six-handed, then speculating is not for you. In addition, keep in mind that bottom two pair are only a very small favorite over top pair, and they may be too vulnerable in a multi-way pot."]

That was from the other article, successful speculating.

It was about what hands to speculate and playing loose early, but this part I thought was too tight, I think 98s on a 9 high board is close but I will fold to resistance depending on the player.

I'm not really folding JTs with 2 jacks on the flop, and bottom 2 is tough. I'm just thinking the $12s, maybe I'm too loose because these kind of hands get paid off by much worse early on.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:36 PM

<----- anxiously awaiting Pudge's response.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 PM

Jennifear writes:
"In a $20+2 SNG, the average player has a -10% ROI (because there is 10% rake)"

Rake are only 9%. $2 out of $22. Thus average ROI are -9%.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jennifear writes:
"In a $20+2 SNG, the average player has a -10% ROI (because there is 10% rake)"

Rake are only 9%. $2 out of $22. Thus average ROI are -9%.

[/ QUOTE ]
noez
Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Can someone tell me her Stars SN? Just curious to see what her results look like.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone tell me her Stars SN? Just curious to see what her results look like.

[/ QUOTE ]

PunkinBear
Old 09-15-2007, 01:59 AM

Her conclusion is correct. Some of her reasoning is flawed you don't want good regs at your table because while you can accumulate chips versus them early, by stealing the blinds and stuff, they will prevent you from accumulating chips because they can call/shove wide were unknowns will miss tons of easy shoves and give you 200 free chips. Also regulars will adjust. Here is an example
Regular raises from the MP his range is JJ+ AK.
I three bet 72o he folds everything, but KK+. My three bet is very profitable, the next time it still might be profitable, by the third of fourth time he will adjust his range to you three bet and he will call/shove with JJ. The other problem is you have a small room for error.
Blinds 10/20 you are on the button with 76s you raise t60. BB calls. Flop is 85J villain checks, you bet 100 he calls. Turn is an Ace, villain checks, you bet 240 he shoves, you fold.
That hand is incredibly standard in cash, however in a sng you now have 1100 chips and next time it folds to you on the button with a 76s it is a lot tougher to raise profitably because if you lose a cbet or a pfr this time, you will be seriously risking your FE when the blinds go up. This example is slightly results oriented as I'm painting a bad situation, but just keep in mind you don't want to be risking chunks of your stack that will decrease your FE as blinds increase. The big problem is even playing so great in early and midlevels you could increase your ROI by from 8% to 13% a big increase. You would be better off just adding more tables and keeping the 8% ROI.