Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-28-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Examples of why your dad is/was awesome

[ QUOTE ]
I feel awesome for the guy who had the courage and persistence to go get what he really wanted. All's fair in love and war FTW

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-28-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I feel sad for Bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

why? i am sure the marriage would have been great considering he wasn't even her first choice.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My dad is awesome in many ways. But the coolest and most memorable story I ever heard was about my granddad. My g-mom always reminisces about him (he's been dead for 20 years) and told me about the first time he asked her on a date. They went to dinner and a movie, he walked her home, dropped her off and said "I'm going to marry you, you know." She thought he was crazy. What a pimp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for reminding me of a great Dad story.

My parents were best friends in high school. They sat together on the bus, talking about their romances, etc. Dad went away to school and they kept in touch writing.

At some point while he was gone he decided that she was the one. He came home for a visit. She was engaged.

He tells her, "I'm going to come calling on you on Saturday."

"You better not." she replies. "Bill, (the fiance), is going to be there."

"I don't care. I'm telling you now that I will be there to call on you."

Sure enough, he shows up. The three of them sit uncomfortably in the living room together for a while.

Finally she gets up and calls Bill into the kitchen. She gives him the ring back. The rest is history.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a Dad story; it's about my Dad's parents, though.

My grandfather was in the Navy, and was stationed in San Diego. He was in uniform, walking past some tennis courts, when my grandmother saw him for the first time. She turned to the girl she was with and pointed him out, saying, "That's the man I'm going to marry."

They were married three weeks later in Tijuana. They had to get married there because the base Chaplain refused to marry them because they hadn't known each other long enough. Their "marriage certificate" was basically a transcript of the ceremony in Spanish, since the priest who performed the ceremony didn't really understand why my grandparents needed such a thing or what it was.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To get this thread back on track,

My parents got divorced when I was in high school. My mom kept the house and my dad got a really [censored] apartment about 20 minutes away.

My dad drove to my house every morning to take me to school. And the drive from my house to the school was only about 5 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like this one.

-J
Old 11-28-2007, 07:30 PM

When my father and mother started dating, my dad was 40 and my mom was 20. This made my dad like three years younger than my mother's parents, and needless to say, they were not very happy that their little girl was now dating a 40 year old. Then add in the fact that my father was a hippie with hair halfway down his back and the only thing consistent about his job background was the inconsistency of it.

He was a writer and a poet and an actor she told them, but they thought he was a full of crap hippie. He was from California and he was telling stories of how he wrote plays and songs and knew movie stars, etc. Again, they thought this was all BS, a story that they couldn't refute but that their daughter, my mom, was eating up with a spoon.

Then, the first time my dad met them, they finish an extremely tense and awkward dinner and sit down to watch some television to ease the tension a bit, and the first thing that pops up on the TV is a rerun of the Merv Griffin Show. It's not on for ten seconds when my dad pops up on the television as a guest on the show.

My dad just sits there coolly and says "Oh hey, I never saw this one. Forgot that I was in it." My mother's parents just sat there speechless.

It's now been 27 years and I think they've finally warmed to him a little, but picturing my grandfather just grinding his teeth at the luck of my dad coming on the tv like that is hilarious to me.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:37 PM

Noah, I want to hang out with your dad.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:39 PM

Great story.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all the other stuff i've seen is all in good fun i guess but i'm just saying i'd be very pissed if someone put a bumper sticker on my car especially if i had a nice car.

didn't mean to rain on everyone's dad parade but if i came in here and was like,

"my dad was awesome because of that one time when we killed that hobo together and didn't tell anyone."

i'm sure someone would say something

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you really not see the difference between the two?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok how about me and my dad keyed some guy's car? or put shaving cream on it so it ate away at some of the paint?

the difference just vanished.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna drive by your house today and smash your mailbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

bring it nath and you can kiss those three teeth goodbye

[/ QUOTE ]

Moderator has already been notified of this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? cool!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:50 PM

so noah why was he on the show?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My dad is awesome in many ways. But the coolest and most memorable story I ever heard was about my granddad. My g-mom always reminisces about him (he's been dead for 20 years) and told me about the first time he asked her on a date. They went to dinner and a movie, he walked her home, dropped her off and said "I'm going to marry you, you know." She thought he was crazy. What a pimp.

[/ QUOTE ]
My dad's "pimp" story (although I'm not sure it's true):

My dad was in college, mom was in high school. Her prom was at the Fox in downtown St. Louis, and as this was the '70's, my dad had a coat with tails and a top hat. While they are walking to the Fox, a little kid runs up and asks my dad if he's a magician. Without skipping a beat, he responds, "I'm magic when I'm with her."

Smoooooooooth.