Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: Which book to master Omaha H/L ?

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all,

I'm new in here, but I find the forum very instructive. I'd like to know which book I could buy to master Omaha H/L, as I'm mainly a NL Holdem player.

Thanks for your answers.

McFlan

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone once said that Texas Hold'Em takes a few minutes to learn and a lifetime to master. Given that THE uses two down cards and Omaha uses four down cards, I guess Omaha takes two lifetimes to master. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I don't think that reading a book will enable you to "master" the game. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Given it is not published yet, I have no idea how good it will be, but Shane Smith and Don Vines will have a book on Omaha High-Low coming out next month (according to Amazon). The complete title is Omaha High-Low Poker: How To Win At The Lower Limits.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:02 PM

thanks guys, great thread!!!... i fired up a NLHE SNG today and it turned out it was omaha hi/lo. i'd never really like omaha, just seemed similar to crazy HE limit, but more confusing... but anyway, the low component to omaha H/L seems to make it pretty enticing. doesn't seem like many people consciously analyze their hand for low value (maybe they think, "hey, 3 and 6 are low cards" but i don't think they really think thru "oh, someone could have A2 in their hand"...... anyway, didn't win too many high pots, but won tons of low ones. of course, i didn't even know the exact rules for qualifying low cards, but i seemed to love it.

no real purpose to my comment other than i'd always disliked OMAHA the few times i've played it, but omaha high/low (omaha 8???) seems fantastic.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:05 PM

Do you know the rules for a qualifying low hand, now? If you don't, I can explain it in simple english.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know the rules for a qualifying low hand, now? If you don't I can explain it in simple english.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think some of it... 8's and under, and flushes and straights don't count (you wouldn't want them to)... but is A2233 a low hand? pretty sure it's not as the pairs do count. i read that 2222 is one of the worst, if not the worst pre-flop hand.

is my understanding correct?.... i very much appreciate your offer to help (and i may need it.. thanks again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

docTriver. maybe one question i think i may know. but high hands don't have to qualify??? i.e. you can win with two pairs (3's and 5's for instance, although highly unlikely)...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you know the rules for a qualifying low hand, now? If you don't I can explain it in simple english.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think some of it... 8's and under, and flushes and straights don't count (you wouldn't want them to)... but is A2233 a low hand? pretty sure it's not as the pairs do count. i read that 2222 is one of the worst, if not the worst pre-flop hand.

is my understanding correct?.... i very much appreciate your offer to help (and i may need it.. thanks again [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img])

docTriver. maybe one question i think i may know. but high hands don't have to qualify??? i.e. you can win with two pairs (3's and 5's for instance, although highly unlikely)...

[/ QUOTE ]

As this is getting away from books into strategy, I am going to take this off the board and send you a private message.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As this is getting away from books into strategy, I am going to take this off the board and send you a private message.

[/ QUOTE ]

fair enough... thanks!!!
Old 11-23-2007, 11:34 PM

docTriver was right to take our discussion private as some of it was rules...

but can people tell me whether they liked/disliked bobby baldwin's supersystem 2 chapter. it's available free on the internet (and copyright friendly too... message me if you want the link).... anyhow, i loved his limit chapter in SS1 and the O8 chapter looks great on first glance.

thanks in advance!!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
docTriver was right to take our discussion private as some of it was rules...

but can people tell me whether they liked/disliked bobby baldwin's supersystem 2 chapter. it's available free on the internet (and copyright friendly too... message me if you want the link).... anyhow, i loved his limit chapter in SS1 and the O8 chapter looks great on first glance.

thanks in advance!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider it to be very good.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:03 AM

I had a good day at the boats and used my winnings to buy some more poker books. As I wanted to add a Omaha Hi/Lo book, I looked through Mike C's book and Bill Boston's book. I ended up getting the Boston book. I bought it for the tables.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a good day at the boats and used my winnings to buy some more poker books. As I wanted to add a Omaha Hi/Lo book, I looked through Mike C's book and Bill Boston's book. I ended up getting the Boston book. I bought it for the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't seen it... but i'm actually a big fan of computer simulation and i think it's based on wilson software (lots of valid criticism, but show me a better simulation tool)