Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 02:58 AM

Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream
Default Re: Thoughts on new Dell laptop

I have the 2 year old version of this notebook, and it still works fine and is a good travel poker notebook.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:09 AM

I have a Dell. I love it.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:55 AM

I have about 9 laptops.

The best is the MacBook, and behind that is the Toshiba. Dells and Gateways have weird chipset issues that rear their heads in bizarre places (running virtual PC, for instance - and it's not the dual core bug for which there is actually a fix).

HPs and Compaqs are OK, but I've had them die randomly at times. These aren't bad since you can get them at costco and return them fairly liberally.

My suggestion would be to go in to Costco and spend like $1300 on the cheapest thing with a dedicated video card and 1440x900 res. Do not buy a 17" laptop. If it's a desktop replacement and will never move, then just buy a desktop. If it's portable at all, then get something smaller. They're just too big to be very portable at all, and you'll hate it after a bit.

I'm waiting for a sub-15" macbook pro with a solid state hard drive before I replace my laptop, so that might get you some information as to what I look for in them.
Old 10-31-2007, 05:48 AM

I have basically this exact same laptop but older model 1705. The newer model is v nice with the 10 key number pad(The only real gripe I have with mine). Make sure you get a coupon it will save you at least $300 and consider the accidental coverage if you are tough on laptops. Accidental coverage means if you lose to a one outer one too many times and punch a hole in your screen they will fix it free of charge(assuming you lie and tell them you dropped it). They are very fast at fixing usually less than a week.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 PM

maybe its just me but in a laptop i want small and light, not big and bulky. I would say build a desktop for home and buy a cheap lappy for takin to school/work. Thats what I do.

Toshiba 14.1 for 600 a year ago
And a desktop for home (built myself to save money)
all under 1600

both are sick machines, dual core etc
desktop is a beast for what i paid
Old 11-01-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My suggestion would be to go in to Costco and spend like $1300 on the cheapest thing with a dedicated video card and 1440x900 res. Do not buy a 17" laptop.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's wanting the laptop for poker also. 1440x900 is just horrible for poker. It's not enjoyable. Sure you can stack the tables, or I guess you could tile and have tons of overlap if tile more than 6 tables.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have basically this exact same laptop but older model 1705. The newer model is v nice with the 10 key number pad(The only real gripe I have with mine). Make sure you get a coupon it will save you at least $300 and consider the accidental coverage if you are tough on laptops. Accidental coverage means if you lose to a one outer one too many times and punch a hole in your screen they will fix it free of charge(assuming you lie and tell them you dropped it). They are very fast at fixing usually less than a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where exactly can I find Dell coupons?
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$425 off Inspiron Notebooks $1399+ Code: P6413WWTNQDRL1

This would probably be the best for the laptop you are describing
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$425 off Inspiron Notebooks $1399+ Code: P6413WWTNQDRL1

This would probably be the best for the laptop you are describing

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW thanks a lot man. Mind informing me where I can find more of these coupons? They don't seem to be at dell.com......