Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: stephenh
villager 3 75.00%
wolf 0 0%
seer 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2007, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Crazy Phil Laak story with Pics

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually is was heroine and not thai artifacts proof will come out later you must admit this is some story no smoke without fire

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes much more sense. Paying $30k for a hit over the loss of $15,000 for artifacts sounds like complete bollocks. However, paying for a hit if those artifacts contained hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of best Thai Number 4 heroin -- given the sort of jail time you'd get in either the US or Thailand for your involvement in such a scheme -- makes much more sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yes and I am sure there is at least a $10000 tax on the exportation of heroin. So that part makes sense too.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Actually is was heroine and not thai artifacts proof will come out later you must admit this is some story no smoke without fire

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes much more sense. Paying $30k for a hit over the loss of $15,000 for artifacts sounds like complete bollocks. However, paying for a hit if those artifacts contained hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of best Thai Number 4 heroin -- given the sort of jail time you'd get in either the US or Thailand for your involvement in such a scheme -- makes much more sense.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh yes and I am sure there is at least a $10000 tax on the exportation of heroin. So that part makes sense too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say, I don't understand why somebody acknowledges that they're a co-conspirator in a scheme to smuggle heroin into the USA inside religious artifacts, but I can easily see how somebody foolish enough to get involved with such a plot might not reckon on having to spend an additional $10k export tax because they were smuggling the dope inside religious art.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Laak is unquestionably a scumbag, too much angle shooting and attention whoring.

Esfandari strikes me as a scumbag also, but he's a bit more reserved. I distrust anyone in poker who has spent untold hours learning how to do card tricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

antisocialgrace, is there *anyone* who plays poker who you don't regard as a scumbag? Is it because you believe that it's impossible for anyone to win without being a cheat or angleshooter?
Old 08-03-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Laak is unquestionably a scumbag, too much angle shooting and attention whoring.

Esfandari strikes me as a scumbag also, but he's a bit more reserved. I distrust anyone in poker who has spent untold hours learning how to do card tricks.

[/ QUOTE ]

antisocialgrace, is there *anyone* who plays poker who you don't regard as a scumbag? Is it because you believe that it's impossible for anyone to win without being a cheat or angleshooter?

[/ QUOTE ]

in the high stakes games I think the guys you haven't heard of are suckers lets just put it that way.

maybe if i couldn't tell you a story about nearly every well known player that didn't paint him in a bad light I might not be so harsh in my judgment.

I don't think it's impossible to win without cheating (at high stakes) but I think honest players are losing a lot of EV.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Heroine is a female hero. Do you mean Tilly is a heroine?

However, Heroin is the key to eternal youth:

Old 08-03-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have lived in Pattaya, Thailand for many years. I have known the person responsible for this story and his wife for 9 years.

[/ QUOTE ]Coincidence that this is your first post? This doesn't offer any credibility because the OP has clearly asked you to write this.

[ QUOTE ]
No I wasn't personally involved in the incidents described by him on this thread. No I can't confirm or deny all the details of the episode. For example I don't know what business deals were proposed or why Phil Laak got so angry. No I've never met or talked to Phil Laak.

[/ QUOTE ]
Enough said? You're just repeating a "story", as you put it.

[ QUOTE ]
Why has this story become so public at this time ? I have no idea other than I was told the injured party was in Las Vegas for the WSOP

[/ QUOTE ]
Why was the "injured party" (who actually suffered no injuries but has apparently received $20,000 from Laak) playing in the WSOP? In the original story, he's not a poker player at all - he just runs a holiday company. Plus this is a bit fishy because isn't poker illegal in Thailand? Maybe you should have asked him why he was there, because if he's not you, he's asked you to post this?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe the attempt at talking in person to Phil Laak shown in the photos was the only or first time that the aggrieved man tried to make direct contact in Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]
What is the story here? Why is this guy hassling Laak 7 years later, and what does he want? Is it surprising Laak doesn't want to talk to some guy who scammed him (but more likely who he's never even met before) and now seems to be stalking him?

[ QUOTE ]
I can confirm that the Thai wife in this story is suffering from MS and that it was originally diagnosed shortly after the alleged threats of violence. Stress doesn't help MS, but would this diease have appeared so soon and so aggressively without the threats ? That's an answer that even a doctor would probably struggle to answer.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is such bs and this guy's wife's health problems are totally irrelevant the story, whether or not there's any truth in it. And why would the alleged assassin identify himself and tell the target of the request? If he's telling them, then there's no longer a threat and there's no reason for them to be stressed.

This is quite apart from the fact, already made, that there is no logical reason in this story why Laak would want to spend tens of thousands of dollars having a casual business partner on the other side of the world killed, at great expense and risk to himself.

This story has more holes than Swiss cheese and is clearly no more than a very amateurish extortion attempt, whether there's any truth in it or not... better luck next time OP.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Back in my hit man days, I would always phone up my victims and let them know what was soon to happen. Just proper etiquette, that is all. Sometimes they would even offer me a better deal not to kill them. Now we have ebay.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:27 AM

This is so bad I'm craving a "busto" thread right now.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:33 AM

I don't really understand the direction that this thread has taken.

<ul type="square">[*]Phil was in Thailand at the time in question[*]This story is well known in Thai gambling circles.[*]Phil obviously knows the person in the pics and does not want to discuss the incident[*]Phil hustled backgammon at Ace Point[*]Phil loves the ganja [/list]
It seems to me like there is some truth to the story and I find it unsettling and horribly racist that we discount the storyteller's credibility because he is not one of us and because of his poor command of the English language.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 AM

I don't know how much of the story is true but it definitely seems that Phil owes this guy money for something and won't pay him. This is the case with many gamblers...prior to making a big score you often have to rob peter to pay paul and people get screwed in between. It's just how it goes.