Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: OFFICIAL WORLD SERIES! - Boston Redsox vs Colorado Rockies

I agree with your assessment, though in the Coors games, the Red Sox lineup will be missing either Youk or Ortiz. As hot as Youk is right now, I'd actually sit Ortiz...

And I think we batter Dice-K. But Beckett and Schilling are clearly better than Francis and Cook.

And substitute Jimenez for Morales -- I suspect Cook replaces Morales on the roster.

But the Red Sox aren't *that* much better than the Rockies, and a Rockies win will not be a luckbox job, if it happens.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with your assessment, though in the Coors games, the Red Sox lineup will be missing either Youk or Ortiz. As hot as Youk is right now, I'd actually sit Ortiz...

[/ QUOTE ]

lozl
Old 10-22-2007, 11:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bullpen: Advantage Rockies. Papelbon/Okajima are better than Corpas/Fuentes

However

The Rockies have a huge advantage with middle relief.

The key will be how necessary are the middle relievers... if Becking-K goes 7 IP each game then we're in deep [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, regarding relief.

I didn't watch much of the Rockies this year, so I'm looking for info here. Are there a bunch of guys in the Rockies bullpen that weren't there for much of the year?

b/c per BP's WXRL, the Rockies were 21st in MLB. they allowed 72 of 227 runners to score. these numbers make them a middling bullpen.

the Red Sox ranked 3rd in WXRL, and allowed 50 of 219.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't compare us to the Indians or any other AL team, it's futile

1. Because AL fans mostly feel that their conference is amazing because of win totals, which is debatable. I don't feel like debating it, it's not worthwhile, and it's a hard argument to make. The AL had great records and the Sox had to play the Yankees/Blue Jays, the Rockies had to play the Dodgers/Padres/D-Backs tons this year, blah blah blah, we could go circles, so stop

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a realllllllly bad argument. I am well aware anything can happen in a 7-game series, and am well aware that the Rockies have played awesome ball lately, but did you just say that you can't compare the AL and NL and that the W-L records were meaningless?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However

The key will be how necessary are the middle relievers... if Becking-K goes 7 IP each game then we're in deep [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, regarding relief.

I didn't watch much of the Rockies this year, so I'm looking for info here. Are there a bunch of guys in the Rockies bullpen that weren't there for much of the year?

b/c per BP's WXRL, the Rockies were 21st in MLB. they allowed 72 of 227 runners to score. these numbers make them a middling bullpen.

the Red Sox ranked 3rd in WXRL, and allowed 50 of 219.

[/ QUOTE ]

We set a record for # of pitchers used in a season this year

Like 29 or something absurd

Herges-Hawkins-Affeldt-Speier--Francis-Corpas were the pitchers used in close spots in Sept-October, and really the whole season (except for Speier who pitched sporatically throughout)
Old 10-22-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

However

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, regarding relief.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. However, Jorge Julio is no longer on the roster, and a lot of what made our bullpen "middling" was things that happened early in the year. For instance, Latroy Hawkins was pretty terrible in April. Taylor Bucholz had to go into the starting rotation for a while.

There hasn't been a ton of turnover, but if you check 2nd half numbers, that's pretty much what we have in terms of players in their current bullpen roles.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:56 AM

The only way the Red Sox don't win this in 4 is if they find a way to win it in 3.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Don't compare us to the Indians or any other AL team, it's futile

1. Because AL fans mostly feel that their conference is amazing because of win totals, which is debatable. I don't feel like debating it, it's not worthwhile, and it's a hard argument to make. The AL had great records and the Sox had to play the Yankees/Blue Jays, the Rockies had to play the Dodgers/Padres/D-Backs tons this year, blah blah blah, we could go circles, so stop

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a realllllllly bad argument. I am well aware anything can happen in a 7-game series, and am well aware that the Rockies have played awesome ball lately, but did you just say that you can't compare the AL and NL and that the W-L records were meaningless?

[/ QUOTE ]

lol at you calling that a bad argument

It wasn't an argument at all

I said I wouldn't go into this but...

The Rockies would've had 100 wins if we played in the AL East instead of Boston.

That's the point that could be made

And I don't feel like arguing about it or making points about why that would've been the case because it's futile
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only way the Red Sox don't win this in 4 is if they find a way to win it in 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schilling and Matsuzaka came up huge for us the last two games, but our starting pitching worries me to the point where I could see it going longer than people expect it to.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:58 AM

Nez,

No one is saying the Rockies will crush the Sox (well, no Colorado folk anyways). I said all along we will be a dog, but there is no reason to think we won't be competitive. Red Sox are a better team, fortunately all that matters is who plays better for a week.

It really is a David and Goliath deal. Payroll, stars, record. The good thing is we've been in the David role for a month and played up to it well.