Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Workout confusion, where to go from here?

Started working out about one year ago. Basically the first time I ever took it seriously since basketball in early high school. Went from about 300+ to my present 228 lbs. in a little over a year. Started off running and slowly cutting the absolute crap out of my diet (fast food, pepsi, etc.)

I've never really read any fitness or nutritional books and I am kinda lost on where to go from here. I'd like to build muscle, but don't want to get huge, and lose the rest of my stomach. I started lifting in December. Currently my lifting routine looks like this:

Bench Press 3x10 - 115 lbs., Squat 3x10 - 135 lbs., Deadlift 3x10 - 150 lbs., Barbell Curls 3x10 - 75 lbs., Dumbell Fly 3x10 - 35 lbs., Leg Extension? 3x10 - 120 lbs., and Leg Curls? 3x10 - 90 lbs.

I do this 3 days a week, usually a Tues/Thurs/Sun. I only have 150 lbs. in weights right now and I'm sure I could up some of these numbers but I want to set some kind of program first.

I also run after I lift, is this good, bad, horrible? I have heard so much conflicting advice about this. I run about 2 1/2 - 3 miles at about a 9 min. per mile pace. I have asthma so sometimes the running can suck but this has been becoming less of a problem as I run more.

As far as nutrition goes I'm pretty ignorant about it for the most part. My diet looks like this:

Mon.- B-Cereal, Bananna L- 12" Lite Turkey/Chicken Pita, Water D- Soup, Juice/Milk
Tues. - B- Oatmeal, Milk L- Lg. Chicken Salad, D - Soup/Healthy Choice Dinner
Wed. - B- Cereal L- 2 Chk. Burritos Taco Bell, Water D- Healthy Choice Dinner/Salad

Something like that with lots of water thrown in. On weekends I might throw in a Sezschwan Chicken dinner or a Steak. I mainly get by on soup, sandwiches, healthy choice dinners, and chicken salad. I throw in some fruits for snacks and to go along with the meals but could probably do better.

Basically I need a good direction to head in. Can you point me to some books/websites with programs I can follow and stick to. Rather than just reading random advice from all over the web that just confuses me. Thanks for any advice.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: Workout confusion, where to go from here?

Check out a site like t-nation.com and look around these pages here. There are many discussions on the variety of diet and exercise programs you should be following. From your workout examples you seem to go to a gym. This will help a lot. Just check out this site and youll be fine.