Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Ram Vaswani speaks about that \'Golf Game\'.

[ QUOTE ]
My god how dumb can Ram be?

Hasn't he ever heard of adjusting the handicaps after 9 or 18 holes? This is common in every bet I have ever made after playing golf.

Not only does he not adjust the handicaps, he let's Phil play for higher stakes, then he accepts the doubles bet of Mark after he walks off! So as I understand it, Phil's team is playing 2 balls and Ram is only playing one and counting it for both scores. That's financial suicide.

Anyone who plays more than 10 rounds a year can recognize a good golf swing and knows when a player has improved and is not just getting lucky.

After playing 36 holes with Ivey, Ram should have been able to tell the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it almost seems to dumb to be true. mark probably wonders this as well...
Old 04-19-2007, 03:14 PM

Who didn't know that Negreanu's story didn't sniff anything near the truth. I have some funny examples of things that I saw happen in real life and the way they get purported in his blog. Him jamming 10 big blinds all in with K8s and getting called by a big ace and gets put in his blog as "what can you do, getting it all in with Kings and the guy catches his flush (flop was K64 all one suit)."

The Ram/Phil side comes down to where you stand about hustling/conning. I think it's lame way to live your life to be looking for spots to con your "friends" all the time. How Ram didn't know better is strange. Everybody knows his repuation as a Phil was a blatant hustler, why would he think he'd be any different?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A quote from the hendon mob website I think is relevant:

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, this is not very relevant. that was a nice thing for him to do, but nearly everyone i know would have done the same thing. pretty unremarkable.

ram is clearly not a bad guy, and i don't think his backing out is a reverse scam on his part. he truly believes he was wronged. but that stupid "if you can't spot the sucker" quote is apt. if he was not aware of what was going on, then he is not cut out for the world of gamblers. it sucks, but he needs to pay up, learn his lesson and move on.

that said, ivey is definitely a scumbag. many in this thread have already responded with some variant of "everyone does it", which is brilliant. so you're all scumbags, great!

you lay down with dogs you get fleas.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Daniel played Patrick heads up pot limit omaha every day for a week. Patrick wins ten million dollars in the first six days and is paid. On the seventh day Daniel wins one million but Patrick hasn’t paid him yet. Then Patrick finds out that on the last day when he lost Daniel was actually playing each hand with 5 cards instead of 4 having dealt himself an extra card each time. Patrick finds out about this and says to Daniel ‘I’m not paying you, because I know you were cheating.’ Doyle then turns to Patrick and says “-------, did Daniel put a gun to your head and force you to keep playing?""

There's a difference between an agreement in a golfround and blatant cheating in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more inerested in this than the golf. How does the other guy play with 5 cards all day and someone not notice? Am I being leveled?
Old 04-19-2007, 03:22 PM

ram said the average winnings from the other rounds played with ivey where like 10 - 50 k and ivey was actually up on him by something close to 30k. For vaswani to then go and lose 2 million in two rounds is pretty incredible and shows something was completely [censored] in the negotiations. No way im paying if im Ram. He lives in the UK i really dont think he will care about losing ivey and his friends either
Old 04-19-2007, 03:36 PM

lol this is absurd. If you negotiate badly that is on you. I don't care if a guy plays his 15+ rounds and shows me his handicap I've never taken anyones word for what they shoot and every golfer I've known continues with the mantra "oh I haven't picked up a club in X weeks".
Old 04-19-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Limon,

given that Ram seems admant about not repaying anything, what do you forsee as happening next? Will they be persona non grata in Vegas, should they be hiring bodyguards? This is rumoured to be $2 million after all...

J

[/ QUOTE ]

ram will pay. regardless of what the general public thinks, the real people he has to associate w/ in order to ply his trade all side w/ ivey. the weight will become to much to bear if he plans on remaining in the poker/gambling community.

[/ QUOTE ]

How rich is Ram anyways? And what is his future lifetime expectation in poker/gambling? It seems to me that he's better off just running off to a beach somewhere and keeping the $1-2 million. It would be pretty hard to make that back without getting lucky in some big tournaments.

Wow what a total moron Vaswani is. I can't believe he's trying to sway the public's opinion on this. Why did he play for stakes he couldn't afford to lose against a professional gambler? And then he kept playing and repeatedly upping the stakes? WTF, why are people on his site agreeing with him? That was such a degenerate thing to do for him to tilt off all his money gambling on golf and then refuse to play.
Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Daniel played Patrick heads up pot limit omaha every day for a week. Patrick wins ten million dollars in the first six days and is paid. On the seventh day Daniel wins one million but Patrick hasn’t paid him yet. Then Patrick finds out that on the last day when he lost Daniel was actually playing each hand with 5 cards instead of 4 having dealt himself an extra card each time. Patrick finds out about this and says to Daniel ‘I’m not paying you, because I know you were cheating.’ Doyle then turns to Patrick and says “-------, did Daniel put a gun to your head and force you to keep playing?""

There's a difference between an agreement in a golfround and blatant cheating in poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more inerested in this than the golf. How does the other guy play with 5 cards all day and someone not notice? Am I being leveled?

[/ QUOTE ]he's using it as an example that if this story was indeed true, then people would think it was fair to welch on the bet. He's comparing this scenario to him getting hustled on the golf course (which is not the same at all).
Old 04-19-2007, 03:45 PM

am I the only one that thinks that Ram isn't paying because he CANT? I don't think he has a million bucks. He is a loser who goes over his head all the time. (recently demonstrated by playing SBrugby for the highest stakes online.)
Old 04-19-2007, 03:48 PM

Even his wife asked him why he didn't stop when down 200k. If you are a gambler, had to tell your wife about a loss, and get chewed out, you KNOW it was more money than he was EVER comfortable losing.