Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 04:32 PM

Default What\'s the longest you\'ve gone playing the wrong game? (lc)

Well, I just finished a half hour session of two tabling stud 8. The problem was, it was actually stud high (not even HORSE), and I only noticed this when someone double bet on 4th street (never even made it to the end with a "low"). Anyone else ever done something that stupid?

By the way, I lost about 2 BBs (or $4). I think someone else thought it was stud 8, cause they called on 5th with just a wheel draw, but it may just be hard to tell at these limits.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:39 PM

Default Re: What\'s the longest you\'ve gone playing the wrong game? (lc)

Few years ago friend of mine and I left a 100/200 live stud8 game to go get drunk.

A few hours later we came back hammered. I couldn't even make it to the table, I just flopped on a bench. My friend and I went halves and he went to play.

5 minutes later he's back, cursing.

First hand he playes he makes a 7 low with a pair of 7s on 6th. Threy cap 6th and the river is bet. Guy with aces up gets the whole pot.

They had switched the game to stud hi only.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I just finished a half hour session of two tabling stud 8. The problem was, it was actually stud high (not even HORSE), and I only noticed this when someone double bet on 4th street (never even made it to the end with a "low"). Anyone else ever done something that stupid?

By the way, I lost about 2 BBs (or $4). I think someone else thought it was stud 8, cause they called on 5th with just a wheel draw, but it may just be hard to tell at these limits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you thinking to yourself how wonderful the table was with so many people coming in with bricks? I accidentally sat down at a limit Omaha High table once on Party and played about 2 orbits before realizing it. Fortunately I was card dead and it didn't cost me much.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:00 PM

i sat down at 8/16 FT a couple months ago, paired my door Q and got raise by david chiu...capped it most of the way and he scooped me with a rivered low straight. I obviously had no clue i was playing stud 8....guess i would have lost either way assuming he had a blindfold on.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:22 PM

Happened to me a bunch of times. There was one time in a 1/2 game where we capped it every street except fifth and the river. It must have been 6 way at one point and ended up 3 or 4 way on the river. It was a huge pot. It was capped between my made low and another worse low. We manage string along a bunch of dead high hands. On the river, I manage to make a miracle straight to scoop the pot. The guy with kings up erupted into how terrible I was. I wanted to tell him I had the boardlocked low on 5th until I noticed it was a stud high table. Oddly enough, the person I was capping with must have also thought it was stud 8 because he had no high hand at all either.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:21 AM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

In an online Razz tournament last Friday I got brainlock on the 4th hand. It didn't occur to me that I was the bring in with a K, I had hidden Aces, dammit. 4th street is a K and I'm betting. Everyone folds except the guy across with 22 showing who's raising. I'm thinking "Trips?" maybe 2 pair so I call down "unimproved." Turns out he had a boat so my K low takes it over his pair of 2s.

Oh yeah *forehead slap* this is RAZZ!
Old 02-15-2007, 04:34 AM

Getting slightly OT but I found this funny....I was playing a 2-7 TD SnG a few days ago. I make a wheel on the 2nd draw and this other guy caps it HU with me and the river where we both stand pat. I table my hand and expect to see the same but he mucks. Look at the HH and he has Twos full of Queens lol. We were like a good ten hands or so into the SnG, you think he'd realize what game we were playing by then!
Old 02-15-2007, 01:06 PM

Well I guess I feel slightly better now. It was a nice table, with people playing three unpaired high cards and similar "trashy" hands. People do the exact same thing in my routine tables from time to time though.

Now that I thought about it more, my high pairs actually lost to both a wheel and a six high straight, which is hard to pull off even in stud 8 (in just a half hour). It's odd how two unlikely events can combine to produce the predicted result (me losing money).