Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 12:33 AM

Default play aces differently here?

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.01/$0.02 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $2.88
BB: $26.23
UTG: $1.53
Hero (MP): $5.65
CO: $4.82
BTN: $5.10

Preflop: Hero is dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.06</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $0.05, BB calls $0.04
Uncalled bet of $0.00 returned to SB

Flop: ($0.18) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 Players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.20</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.20

Turn: ($0.58) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.60</font>, BB calls $0.60

River: ($1.78) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.20</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2.00</font>, BB calls $1.80

Pot Size: $5.78 ($0.25 Rake)
Old 09-26-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: play aces differently here?

I will normally bet 4x the BB PF. Board is drawless with 1 face card. People that call you when you overbet the pot generally means that they have a monster. At these limits, however, noobs will call any bet when they are drawing to something, I've even seen idiots call overbets with gutshots or middle pair, low kicker. You overbet on all 3 streets when you should be trying to bet for value. Bet approx 2/3 at flop to get a K or pocket pairs to call you. I'd bet 3/4 of pot for turn. BB is trying to donk at the river. River raise to about 1.40. If he has you beat, then note him as a donk and a bad player. Moral of the story: don't overbet the pot, EVER!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Dont overbet the pot, ever? Thats some seriously bad advice IMO. A good value bet is where you bet as much as your opponent is likely to call with the worst hand. If they want to call an oversized bet with a marginal hand, then let them! The only reason you usually bet 2/3 or 3/4 of the pot is because it prices out most draws, but still is tempting for people to call unprofitably. Dont you see that if they called a bigger bet its even more unprofitable for them?
This isnt pot limit, its no limit. Sometimes overbets get called by more marginal hands than half pot bets do, as it often looks like your on a bluff. Fold equity and value betting isnt a linear relationship.
I'm not saying make overbets your standard play, but definitely have them as a part of your arsenal against the right players.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:09 AM

i'm not in love with the river raise here. i dont think at this limit that the river donk bet is a blocking bet. the board just got really coordinated and it is extremely possible we are looking at kq, kj, 22, or 88.

If BB 3bet shoves the river I am really not liking my hand anymore.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM

I Like everything other than the river raise. I think we still have to call but I don't like that donk bet