Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 01:17 AM

Default Re: This kinda pissed me off

OP,

go back to the store and make all the same arguments you are making here. Eventually the manager will have enough of your whining and give you what you want just so you'll leave.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 AM

omg i made a mistake because i was uneducated! and now i want someone else to pay for the consequences!!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen them sell used games for almost the exact same price as the new version, in fact they tried to sell me a used version of some game recently for $55 when the new version was $60, so I assume that they would do the same for my mint condition THPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you buy a used copy yourself?

Because it wasn't discounted heavily enough. I imagine no one would buy a used copy of the game unless it was in fact a bargain, which 55$ on a 60$ game is not. I think the true market value of the used copies is roughly 70% of new value (is this reasonable?), give or take 5-10% for the condition of the game. I doubt their used games marked down ~10% from the new price move at even 1/10th of the speed of their new merchandise. This creates stale inventory, which eventually needs to be unloaded at even lower prices.

I suppose a fair offer for your game would have been roughly half price, 20$ does sound a bit low. Then again, you made the mistake, you aren't in the position to be dictating terms.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:02 AM

OP, honest question here....

Forget the situation for a second. Which is more likely:

You're correct and about 100 random people are all wrong

OR

You're incorrect and about 100 random people are all right?

I'm amazed by the fact that you're not detered by the fact that EVERYONE disagrees with you! If I was in any sort of debate and I found everyone disagreeing with me, then it'd cause me to take a long hard look at my stance on the issue and likely re-evaluate it.

100,491 and counting
Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I bought Tony Hawks Proving Ground a few days ago. A friend of mine told me afterwards I should have gone with EA's "Skate" instead. I looked at some reviews and clips for it and after playing a little bit of Tony Hawk I decided I wanted Skate instead. I wasn't sure what the policy on returning games was, so I called the store (EBgames) to ask. I explained that I purchased THPG from their store only a few days ago, and that the game was in perfect mint condition with less than an hour of play on it, and I wanted to exchange it for another game of equal value. He told me that he couldn't do that. The best he said he could do was buy back the game from me, for 20 [censored] bucks. I literally said to him, "Seriously?"

Now I can see them not giving me a complete refund or exchange, perhaps making me pay 5 or 10 bucks since it was opened and they can't sell it new. I've seen them sell used games for almost the exact same price as the new version, in fact they tried to sell me a used version of some game recently for $55 when the new version was $60, so I assume that they would do the same for my mint condition THPG. But jesus, $20? That is pretty much a slap in the face. I would rather break the disc in half, coat it with antifreeze, then feed it to my dog than sell it back to those scumbags at 33% of it's original value so they can resell it for roughly the same price as the new version and make even more at my expense.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I think this is pretty effed up. This is a company that specializes in buying/selling both new and used games. Can't they use some common sense to realize that I deserve a reasonable refund in my case, at least in the form of store credit to buy another game from them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um. No.

They have employees to pay; rent to pay. There's your overhead.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
20 bucks....take it or leave it.

Thanks for your business

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously LMAO at this picture. Faces are hilarious.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM

Ah this thread is so LOL. My favorite part was when OP asked that one guy "do you even play poker?", as if this somehow impacts his qualifications regarding discussing the return of video games.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, honest question here....

Forget the situation for a second. Which is more likely:

You're correct and about 100 random people are all wrong

OR

You're incorrect and about 100 random people are all right?

I'm amazed by the fact that you're not detered by the fact that EVERYONE disagrees with you! If I was in any sort of debate and I found everyone disagreeing with me, then it'd cause me to take a long hard look at my stance on the issue and likely re-evaluate it.

100,491 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few people in this thread have even tried to make a civil argument that actually makes sense. The majority of this thread is sarcastic remarks or people saying stuff like "OP is a moron LOL." Now of course once I appear defensive every OOT poster with far too much time on their hands is going to give me their arrogant opinion which may or may not make sense or be relevant at all.

At this point, I don't even know what the "argument" is. People against me say that EB Games doesn't owe me anything or have to buy the game off me at a reasonable price. I never said they did, just that it is something that irritated me a bit at the time that I think should be changed. Do I expect them to? Obviously not. Everybody has their pet-peeves with various store policies; this is one of mine.

Regardless, my argument all along has been that altering the policy in a way that allows them to still profit but allows the customer to return a new game for a reasonable price is one that makes sense. People on the other side of the fence either went back to the argument that store policy is store policy therefore I have to live with it because I made a mistake, which I never said was unreasonable, or then people started using the argument that people would abuse this game policy to constantly exchange new games. I suggested all along that a fee could be implemented so that people wouldn't have any reason to do it and also so that the store wouldn't lose money. Then somebody made a long winded post about how people would still abuse the policy even if there were a fee, and that if this happened GameStop would go out of business. It was around this time EB/GameStop customer service replied to my email saying that in the future they suggest purchasing used games which have a "no questions asked" return policy for 7 days. This pretty much makes the previous argument about how it is going to be abused and so forth moot, correct?

I've been wrong before but I've admitted it when I knew I was wrong. I do not think that I'm wrong here, regardless of how many condescending posters tell me otherwise. If "majority rules" governs who is right or wrong, then obviously I lost this one a long time ago. But then again, we would still think the earth is flat.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen them sell used games for almost the exact same price as the new version, in fact they tried to sell me a used version of some game recently for $55 when the new version was $60, so I assume that they would do the same for my mint condition THPG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why didn't you buy a used copy yourself?

Because it wasn't discounted heavily enough. I imagine no one would buy a used copy of the game unless it was in fact a bargain, which 55$ on a 60$ game is not. I think the true market value of the used copies is roughly 70% of new value (is this reasonable?), give or take 5-10% for the condition of the game. I doubt their used games marked down ~10% from the new price move at even 1/10th of the speed of their new merchandise. This creates stale inventory, which eventually needs to be unloaded at even lower prices.

I suppose a fair offer for your game would have been roughly half price, 20$ does sound a bit low. Then again, you made the mistake, you aren't in the position to be dictating terms.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was so obvious then why would they do it to begin with? People seem to give them a ton of credit for recognizing profitable decisions regarding the return policy, I think that they would also know the most profitable price for various used games based on having this situation come up millions of times. If the $55 used version never sold, then I'm sure they would have listed it at $50 or $45. While the $5 or $10 difference may not mean anything to me, it may for some people who are getting paid $7 an hour at their job.

The rest of your points are valid, I agree that I am not entitled to anything given the policy. I still think it's unfair, but that is all. Fair means nothing. I think a decent comparison would be to Blockbuster when they had those ridiculous late fees. People would return a movie or game late, and they might end up paying more than the actual price of the product because they forgot to return it. Just about everybody thought it was an insane policy and completely unfair. What makes this situation any different? Did the people complaining about Blockbuster's unreasonable late fees have a legitimate beef? After all it was their fault for not returning the video on time, they knew the policy, etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ah this thread is so LOL. My favorite part was when OP asked that one guy "do you even play poker?", as if this somehow impacts his qualifications regarding discussing the return of video games.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did being such a worthless poster net you a moderator position? Must've been the 13k posts in a year and a half. You're cool!