Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Torre is back

I don't dismiss advanced SABR analysis. I'm also no expert on it, obviously. I've read Moneyball, and pretty much buy into it. I do embrace it's ability to evaluate players.

But SABR analysis doesn't answer everything. It doesn't explain Bucky Dent, for instance. It certanly doesn't explain the D'backs winning 90 games. It's not the be all and end all of baseball, unless you limit your baseball playing to Strat-O-Matic geekery.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mondo, just because you started following baseball like a month ago, does not mean that you have any clue about anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thayer, just because you've made mad mobnies at pokerz doesn't mean you know anything about me or my knowledge of baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exhbit A:

"If Kobe Bryant can be paid $25 million a year to whine about getting to play pro basketball, then Torre can easily be paid $7.5m a year to actually run a professional baseball team. "

You think one of the best players ever in the NBA is only about 3x as valuable as an MLB manager.

Exhibit B:

" The Yankees' farm system is pretty much a bare cupboard now (thanks to Cashman, not Torre),"

The Yankees have one of the best farm systems in baseball.

Exhibit C:

"The Yankees would be dumb to pay $12m a year to a closer when they're not going to be close enough to a playoff spot to need Rivera. They'd probably be better off spending the money restocking their farm system.

It's no accident that the Indians, Rockies, Tigers, etc., are a lot closer to a World Series these days than the Yankees, and it's no secret why."

This probably isn't even worth replying to, as all of your ignorance is self evident.

Exhibit D :

"Do tell us, then, just whom in the Yankees farm system is actually ready to step up and contribute, because it's pretty evidence that aside from Wang, none of their callups can get major league hitters out on a regular basis. (And Joba, if they let him be a starter, of course.)"

Besides the fact that your statement is just retarded(ZOMG WHO BESIDES WANG AND CANO AND MELKY AND JOBA ARE THERE??? LOL like any team wouldn't kill to have those players as their sole amount of developed players.)

Besides all of that, you are completely wrong. Hughes and Kennedy are both top top prospects, and will be ready to contribute next year. Since you don't think they've proven anything yet, and somehow that makes them not great farm developments, feel free to prop bet me large sums of money this year [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Exhibit E:

"That's easy -- look at who the Yankees brought up from the minors to start games this year. Aside from Ian Kennedy and Phillip Hughes, the rest appear to be middling, at best."

LOL @ "Besides 3 Super duper awesome prospects, all projected to be front line Starters, they have no other good MLB ready starting pitching!!!"

If you take away all of my 80k+ Poker cashes I have
alot less money, BRILLIANT!

Too lazy to find more, hope you are satisfied.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But SABR analysis doesn't answer everything. It doesn't explain Bucky Dent, for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a horrible line of reasoning. It's basically [insert something improbable here], explain that, smart guy! Improbable things happen. Sabr never claims to have Miss Cleo like forcasting abilities, it's not a baseball superuser. It just looks at what players have done in the past, use various methods of projecting future performance, and then sit back and watch the game. Just because someone is unlikely to win the lottery does not mean that statistics are wrong because someone does, in fact win the lottery.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:28 PM

anyone else listening to the press conference?

impressions?
Old 10-19-2007, 02:29 PM

"The Yankees Farm System is a bare cupboard". LOL what a drooling idiot. Get him Thay3r.

Oh and Mondo, here's something else to back up Thayer- the 2007 organizational talent rankings, according to Baseball America:
[ QUOTE ]
5 NEW YORK yankees

Highest Ranking: No. 1 (1991, 2000).

Lowest Ranking: No. 27 (2004).

State Of The System: The Yankees have done an about-face in the last couple of years, and their farm system has benefited. They have become aggressive rather than passive in the draft under scouting director Damon Oppenheimer, allowing them to sign costly and coveted players such as RHPs Dellin Betances and Joba Chamberlain. They’ve also traded for prospects such as RHPs Humberto Sanchez and Kevin Whelan, rather than giving them away for veterans. The Latin American program remains strong, highlighted by OF Jose Tabata.

Best-Stocked Position: Righthanded starters. Six of the system’s seven best prospects fit this description, starting with the minors’ top pitcher, Philip Hughes, and followed by Sanchez, Betances, Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy and Tyler Clippard. New York also has hopes for George Kontos, Zach McAllister and Tim Norton, part of its 2006 draft crop along with Betances, Chamberlain and Kennedy.

Prepare For Takeoff: LHP Angel Reyes. The Yankees haven’t had much success developing left-handers since signing Andy Pettitte as a draft-and-follow in 1990, but Reyes could change that. He’s not big, but he can touch 94 mph with his fastball and shows signs of developing a plus curveball.

At A Crossroads: 1B/3B Eric Duncan. New York’s third baseman of the future before Alex Rodriguez arrived, Duncan has moved to first base but wasn’t a factor in the spring competition between journeymen Doug Mientkiewicz, Josh Phelps and Andy Phillips. A 2003 first-rounder, Duncan has hit just .235 with 198 strikeouts in 214 games the last two years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-19-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

impressions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question by the old reporter asking if Torre has tried to convince higher ups that there is a big factor of luck in these 5 game playoff series. Torre's reply, "Well, yeah I have."
Old 10-19-2007, 02:42 PM

Paraphrasing here:

Q: joe would you consider managing again? when?
A: i think my contract runs until december 1st, but thats just the way its written. i'm free to listen right now. i still feel the energy to manage and i feel like guys listen to me.

Let the speculation begin!!
Old 10-19-2007, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

impressions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question by the old reporter asking if Torre has tried to convince higher ups that there is a big factor of luck in these 5 game playoff series. Torre's reply, "Well, yeah I have."

[/ QUOTE ]

yea i liked the way he phrased that question too
Old 10-19-2007, 02:59 PM

This is gonna sound so dumb, but it feels like such an honor to just sit here and listen to him answer questions for an hour.

I hate the Yanks, but Joe is so f'in dignified.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But SABR analysis doesn't answer everything. It doesn't explain Bucky Dent, for instance.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a horrible line of reasoning. It's basically [insert something improbable here], explain that, smart guy! Improbable things happen. Sabr never claims to have Miss Cleo like forcasting abilities, it's not a baseball superuser. It just looks at what players have done in the past, use various methods of projecting future performance, and then sit back and watch the game. Just because someone is unlikely to win the lottery does not mean that statistics are wrong because someone does, in fact win the lottery.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think if he said shane spencer instead of bucky dent, it would at least be marginally more interesting of his seriously flawed "theory".

1) you'd have to look up shane spencer and what exactly he did for the yanks.
2) you'd have a whooping 67 AB sample, as opposed to 1 for Dent.