Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2006, 12:18 AM

Default resume question

- If you are a college graduate, do you include your high school in the education section?
- does the answer change if it is considered a "prestigious" school?

various resources on the internet seem to give conflicting info about this. what does oot think?
Old 04-10-2006, 12:20 AM

Default Re: resume question

My Business Communications class says no. College only.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:20 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans, if you think about it.

nevermind misread your post
Old 04-10-2006, 12:21 AM

depends. If I went to a prestigeous high school, or completed a prestigeous program like the "International Bacheloreat (sp?)" program, or if I won some significant awards I might consider it. Otherwise, I would not bother.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:23 AM

Also, is a "computer skills" section needed? I see this on a few sample resumes online. My gut tells me that it should be assumed that a recent graduate has bassic ms office skills.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
did you have any schooling after high school and just not finish ?

i wonder about this too because i did like 3 semesters at a technical college towards computer networking degree but never finished, so it's kinda hard to put it on a resume without looking bad. but i'd rather have something than nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

So if the OP graduated from college, he should not bother with high school info, since it is obvious that he did graduate from high school. The high school info is irrelevant unless he did something exceptional in high school.

I would, in general, put down uncompleted college work as well. You'd say something like:

Education:
-completed relevant courses in [web design or whatever] from [wherever] community college.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, is a "computer skills" section needed? I see this on a few sample resumes online. My gut tells me that it should be assumed that a recent graduate has bassic ms office skills.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would not be assumed that a recent graduate has basic ms office skills. If he has them, he should definitely put them down.

As for a separate computer skills section... You would only do this if you do, in fact, have marketable computer skills. You would not have a 'computer skills' section if the only computer skills you have to speak of are MS office skills. You put down a computer skills section if you have knowlege of software (or hardware) that is relevant to the job and is somewhat technical or specialized. I.e. you have skills that are relevant and important and require highlighting.

For example, as a geotechnical engineer, I have a host of experience with specialized geotechnical engineering software, mine engineering software, autoCAD, etc, etc... It is very important to the job, thus my resume has a section for it.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:33 AM

I believe most college graduates are not proficient in Excel or Powerpoint and thus it is worthwhile to put on ones resume.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No matter what anyone else in this thread suggests, DO THIS. Otherwise it leaves the window open for assumption, including assumption that you don't know these things.

There are a lot of companies that rely on HR for screening - nothing wrong with this, since a heinous number of unqualified people apply regularly. To get these "buzz words" in could be the difference between getting a call - and an opportunity for you to take or leave - or otherwise.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:55 AM

No HS info if you have a college degree. Do put on computer skills, especially if you truly are proficient. Also, be aware of what "proficient" really is. A basic question I've seen asked regarding excel is "tell me how to write an if-then statement". Apparently, it's amazing how many excel "experts" can't even answer this simple question.