Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Adults dupe teen into MySpace-assisted suicide

[ QUOTE ]

Now you want to argue the concept of what is right and what is wrong? Unless you subscribe to a theory that says all ethical values are the same, you're bound to get hundreds of different answers.

My only argument is that the family has a good civil suit on their hands and ample evidence that the other adults are liable for her death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I presume you'd agree that the law should at least exhibit strong correlations between responsibility and liability? This is what mbillie means by right here.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mbillie, wtf are you arguing here? We're talking about legal liability, not whether or not the kid was a pathetic crybaby who couldn't take abuse.

[/ QUOTE ]

ya I am dumb lol, I misread kyleb's argument

incidentally, I do spend a lot of time on 2+2 talking to y'all... you may be monetarily liable for my dumbness [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-14-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Now you want to argue the concept of what is right and what is wrong? Unless you subscribe to a theory that says all ethical values are the same, you're bound to get hundreds of different answers.

My only argument is that the family has a good civil suit on their hands and ample evidence that the other adults are liable for her death.

[/ QUOTE ]

I presume you'd agree that the law should at least exhibit strong correlations between responsibility and liability? This is what mbillie means by right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should; and it does. However, I agree with the lawyers/police department here; there is no charge that fits in a criminal sense. It is borderline, as the article would indicate. It is often in these borderline cases that civil suits are won while major felony criminal charges cannot be brought to bear (though sometimes misdemeanors can be filed).
Old 11-14-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
dude remember middle school, jr high, high school? Picking on someone's weaknesses deliberately to cause emotional harm happens constantly, people with depression are not exempt... and yet most of them don't kill themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a difference between simple hazing and bullying between peers in middle and high school and deliberate, malicious acts of torment by a group of adults towards a pubescent girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still have no idea how this isn't the focal point of this conversation.

Nice point mikey.

Liability still requires negligence or strict liability. Strict liability would be impossible to prove since the girl was already suffering from clinical depression and tons of stressors could have contributed to the death. Negligence would require the "reasonable person" test. If a reasonable person could forsee that the obvious emotional distress the adults inflicted would lead to Megan's death, then they are liable.

[ QUOTE ]
The defendant must have been deemed negligent or strictly liable for the victim's death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Negligence (legal definition) - failure to exercise the care toward others which a reasonable or prudent person would do in the circumstances
Old 11-14-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Alobar,

This is not the same as you killing someone in your front seat. Or the same as a child molester. Or anything else...because phyiscally, these adults didn't do anything. They emotionally scarred this child, but that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think child molestation is so wrong, it isnt because its so physically damaging. If it was we'd all be in jail everytime we effed some virgin, or some girl with a nice tight box. Its so wrong because of the mental damage it does to someone. It has ZERO to do with anything physical.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhh not true. The damage is mental but the VIOLATION is physical.

What's worse, touching childs breasts or telling her I want to touch her breasts? The physical act is huge

[/ QUOTE ]

who cares what the violation was, its the consequence that matters. The reason the violation is considered so wrong is because of the consequence. Its just the consequences are much more likely to occur from a physical violation because like you said, it is much more traumatic, but that doesnt change anything.

If I knowingly and maliciously commit an act that I know will have traumatic mental and emotional consequences for a young girl, thats a deplorable thing.

Hell, which is worse, the child molester who just wants to [censored] little girls because it gets him off, or the child molester who wants to [censored] a little girl because he knows its going to ruin her life.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM

why are we arguing it? I know it's deplorable, I agree it's deplorable. It's not murder though
Old 11-14-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
deliberate malicious acts of torment by a group of young adults towards pubescent girls and boys is abnormal? I hear you, I just think you underestimate how frequent this sort of deliberate, premeditated, malicious and cruel behavior occurs I guess

[/ QUOTE ]

If a "young adult" (which I assume you mean to be 16-18ish?) did something as cruel and calculated as this which resulted in the suicide of a 13 year old, I think they could be held liable in a wrongful death suit as well.
Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
gump, An adult doing it to another adult (e.g., a 2p2 poster) is worlds different than and adult doing it to a child anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are getting sidetracked by that conversation. My point was that 14 year olds do this too; Alobar says they don't understand the implications, and that adults stop because they do understand the implications. I disagreed with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what he (and I) is contending is that the adults stop tormenting 14 year olds because they realize the effects that torment can have on a 14 year old.

Youth haze youth, sure. But I have no idea how so many of you don't understand how wrong it is for a parent to do it to another parent. I dig mbillie's posts usually be he is sooo far off in this one.