Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Closed Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:23 AM

Default Re: The Ultimate Fighter / UFC thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
side note: jardinne grew up in butte, mt. which is like the irish tough guy central spot/drunk fighting/mean ass white boy capital of all of the northwest. i asked some butte punk/tough/fighter guys about him and no one knew anything about his tough guy reputation from there. that does not bode well for the dean of mean.
should be fun tonight. later. J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very few guys that get far in the UFC were moron tough guys. It seems to take a lot of intelligence to excel in MMA in general and the UFC in particular. Remember how many guys in TUF 1 had Masters' or grad school?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am very aware of the technical side of mma and the intelligence required to excel at the highest levels.

it was a bit of a joke mixed in with the fact that they both
"agreed" that it was going to be an old school slug fest. that meaning being a tough guy did have some bearing.

anyway he def. fought a great and very smart fight. J.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tyson Griffin fight awesome once again.
Forrest Griffin = wow.
Jardine: It just pisses me off that it was a split decision. Not sure what the hell that one judge saw. He should be fired on the spot. I enjoyed the fight, and Jardine earned it.
A relatively boring victory for Machida, no surprise there
Sanchez/Fitch was relatively close and solid.

Overall a great UFC I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

so to be clear, forrest griffin won? (if so wooooo awesome). can you or someone provide details of this fight? the showgun (sp?) looked badass in the previews.

and lidell lost??? (WTF??)
Old 09-23-2007, 01:54 PM

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9169

Thats the play-by-play.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:34 PM

All,

Thanks for talking this up and convincing me to get this.

Watched it w/ Boris and a couple of other friends after a big night of drinking. Wow, what an entertaining set of fights!

Tyson Griffin fight was awesome - was great seeing him just escape from all those sub attempts at will. I'm a fan.

Machida fight was sorta boring, but OK.

Sanchez/Fitch was great to watch, and Fitch really impressed me w/ his poise and strength. Diego looked like he had some submission attempts locked in pretty good, but Fitch really never seemed to be too worried.

Forrest Griffin. Wow, awesome. Just always love watching his fights.

Jardine, Liddell. Didn't really get the split decision. Thought Jardine clearly won the last two rounds. He looked really impressive and Liddell seemed to be almost confused, really didn't seem like he had a good idea of how to deal w/ Jardine. Very surprising. Another fun fight to watch.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:05 PM

Why do they call that guy Shogun when he's from Brazil?
Old 09-23-2007, 10:49 PM

Given that UFC the organization was setting up for a Liddell vs. Silva fight, I am glad that the judges gave Jardine the decision. After the screw job in London, I wondered if UFC was going to just hire French judges for fights where they wanted a certain result. Frankly neither of them looked particularly good, and I am starting to wonder if Chuck is being too much of a celebrity and not enough of a fighter, especially given that he is 37.
To me MMA has an inherent advantage over boxing, of which I have been a huge fan, in that the submissions give every fighter the equivalent of one punch knock out power. Every fight can end at any time if there is the slightest mistake, and also gives huge comeback potential.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The PPV named "Knockout" didn't contain a single knockout.

[/ QUOTE ]
UFC 77: BORING GROUND AND POUND DECISION
Old 09-24-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
forrest makes me smile like crazy. Obviously a guy who loves what he does.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the same way I feel. He lives for the [censored]. He is like a modern day Achilles. How awesome was it when shogun landed that nasty elbow to his forehead and he smiled [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Cheered when i saw that real time...

to whomever asked...Griffin beat Shogun...It was pretty good forrest wasnt going crazy like vs bonnar and whatnot, much more technical and picking spots...at the end of 2nd they were both just exhausted and I expected forrest to knock out Shogun, who was literally walking around iwth his arms STRAIGHT down. didnt happen however.

Also, [censored] all of u with no love for Diego. the man is an animal. mad props to fiych for beating him.

Was also the first time I saw that dude tyson whatever, he was really impressive.

edit: Hughes is good and im sure his coaching will make serra's look like a joke. Serra is a cocky, worthless POS who doesnt deserve the title he has and it gonna get his ass beat down by hughes after the season.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 PM

Glad you got this PPV ED. This card was sure to be outstanding. Some of the outcomes were shockers, lots of drama for this PPV. I absolutely loved it. It's actually one of the better cards in a long time.

This season's TUF should be great going by the previews. The first episode was hilarious. The doctor's office scene was absolutely priceless LOL! Should be a very fun season.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:11 PM

Griffin over Shogun is probably one the larger upsets in MMA history.
Closed Thread