Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 06:18 PM

Default New to 5cd, don\'t know what \"standard\" is...

Limit 5 Card Draw (converter)

SB ($34), Seat 6
BB ($56), Seat 1
Hero ($61.50), Seat 2
CO ($34.50), Seat 3
Button ($42.75), Seat 4

SB posts $0.50. BB posts $1.

Hero is UTG with [2c 5d Qd Qs Qc]

Round 1: (1.50 SB)

<font color="red">Hero raises. </font><font color="#666666">CO folds. </font><font color="green">Button calls. </font><font color="#666666">SB folds. </font><font color="#666666">BB folds. </font>
Hero discards 2c 5d. Button takes 1.

Hero has [Qd Qs Qc 3c Td]

Round 2: (2.75 BB)

<font color="green">Hero checks. </font><font color="red">Button bets. </font><font color="red">Hero raises...</font>

I checked with the initiative because I figured button had either a draw or two pair before the draw since he took 1 card. So if he's got a busted draw, then I get one bet from him if he tried to bluff, and he would have folded to my bet anyway. If he has two pair, this play is only good if he bets after I check to him, and I don't know if an unknown will do this. He seemed pretty aggressive at the time.

Thinking about it now, maybe this play would have been better if I had taken 1 card instead of 2? Then he'll be more apt to bet with 2pair when I check to him. Or maybe it's better to just c/c since then I don't get punished if he improved?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: New to 5cd, don\'t know what \"standard\" is...

its more usual to draw 1

ideally you should have a view about whether he has a drawing hand or 2 pair - is he aggressive such that he would normally 3 bet 2 pair pre-draw ? - does he always want to play when he has a draw ?

most of the time i would bet and likely pay a raise - if i really fancied the drawing hand then check is possible

check and then raise is strange - your big hope when you check is that a busted draw will bet - a busted draw is never calling a raise - in fact there is no sensible hand that you beat that is calling the raise

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 03-14-2007, 08:32 PM

Drawing 2 screams trips. Checking at SD sends the message you missed some poor draw/bluff, or you have little trips (666 and less). So you need to call his bet 100% as you induced a bluff here.

Your play was to raise… what hand do you put HIM on? He’s seen you may have trip and bet, when you reraise you’re screaming you have trips. He’s not gonna re-raise with anything less, and his starting pair was good enough to call your raise, so I’d read that for KKK or AAA.

So if he calls you, you may still be good.

If he re-raises what is your plan?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:23 PM

The other thing for the OP to think about is drawing odds...

Say the button is a total fish and called the raise pre with a flush draw. He's currently only getting 1.75 for the draw being that the two of them are HU and we have a dead SB and BB in the pot.

What happens if he makes it?

Should you bet and he raises and you call.. you've given him only 2 big bets in addition to the 1.75. Unless he has a straight flush draw (including a gut-shot str-flush draw.. which is about 3-1), he did not get what he needed out of the hand to profitibly make the play and you earn "Sklansky dollars".

However, should you check-raise his without a hand that can beat a straight or a flush, and he 3-bets you.. do you call? I would think you have to via the size of the pot. Getting 3 bets post draw, you have given villian what he needs to have drawn at his hand!

Personally:
1) HU and OOP, I feel that 1carding is the best bet. It's possible that he's drawing, but you don't know that for sure. Go for the deception, hope that he has 2pair and will pay you off.
2) If raised, just call without a boat or better.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. At the time I was putting him on 2pair before the draw, and I assumed he would pay off a checkraise after the draw with an unimproved 2pair. But that didn't work out.
Old 03-15-2007, 02:01 AM

in .50/1, 2 pair is never betting there unless they overvalue it. i think a bet/call is a better line. and i almost always draw 1, they pay off with 2 pair more often that way, and maybe raise worse trips
Old 03-15-2007, 02:08 AM

I recently tried playing limit draw again and realized I suck, but I'll give my 2 cents anyway. There's no reason for you to draw 2 here, draw 1. I don't like check raising, because a missed draw is less likely to try to bluff you off a 1/2 card draw. Obviously this is a very small stakes hand, so he sucks, and that has to be factored in, but I still prefer just drawing 1 pre draw and betting out post draw. You're paying off if he raises.
Old 03-15-2007, 10:17 AM

check raising only gets you into trouble