Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 02-10-2007, 04:14 AM

Default Re: Review one whiskey

Blanton's Bourbon. $50

You may recognize it as being the round faceted bottle with the horse stopper on top.
A traditional Kentucky Whiskey. Single barrel, non-blended. Deep amber color with a caramel/toffee nose upon opening. I prefer a small ice cube or splash of cool water while drinking it. There's a hint of vanilla in addition to the caramel/toffee flavors upon drinking. A classic "warm", maybe even peppery type finish. I'm also a big fan of Booker's but find the 120 proof too be a bit much after awhile. I view Blanton's almost as a Booker's lite. Well worth the $50 investment.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Talisker 10 (52$ at bevmo, about the same locally here)

After drinking Balvenie Doublewood 12 and Macallen 10, I wanted to try something a little different that was not a Highland scotch. I am very much a novice scotch drinker, so I do not have the command of the flavors that others do, but you can instantly tell that this scotch is not like the ones i have drank before. It has a much stronger bite to it. I would assume that is because of the peatyness of this scotch over the others I have drank. I still found this very drinkable and enjoyable. It might not be as smooth as some, but I think it has some distinct characteristics that make it stand out from the crowd. I would recommend trying it as a third or fourth bottle of scotch a novice would buy.
Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 PM

As a complete whiskey noob, but determined to see the light, I found myself at an upscale restaurant this past Sunday for a nice little reception.

With an open bar that had close to 30 different whiskeys!!!

My bro-in-law is a whiskey drinker, and with his support (if I didn't like it, he'd drink it) we ordered a snifter of Laphroaig 15 yo (him) and Oban 14yr (me).
I must say that I thouroughly enjoyed both of these drinks.

The Oban was the lighter of the two, with a nice golden appearance. I noticed a pleasant malty/smoky aroma, which carried through to the taste (along with a spicy hint). Rather warming experience in the back of my mouth.
The finish was smooth and malty. I was generally pleased with this choice.

Darker in color compared to the Oban, and a heavier smoke scent (which I really liked). I don't know how to really describe it, but it was like drinking liquid smoke, and I loved it! The flavor lingered with me for longer than the Oban, and if I didn't have a long ride home, I would have needed more!

I need to find more open bar events!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Edit: total price for these 2 drinks at bar would have been $14.
Oban ~ $40
Laphroaig ~ $35
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Review one whiskey *DELETED*

Post deleted by El Diablo
Old 02-12-2007, 01:15 PM
 is offline

Lagavulin Special Release 12 Years Old Cask Strength (~$80)

Nose: Lots of smoke and peat. Some sweetness.

Taste: Smoke and salt. When you add a few drops of water it gets a little sweeter. Long dry finish.

Highly recommended [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am going to a Islay-tasting on friday, and if there is any interest, I could post a trip-report.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:48 AM

Glenmorangie 12 Years Old

Glenmorangie is highland malt with a golden color. It has a full, warm and sweet taste, quite different to the more medicine like islay malts like laphorig. You can buy this whiskey with different finishes, meaning that for the last part of the maturing the whiskey is transfered to former wine-casks. Depending on the cask this gives the whiskey not only a different depth of color, but a slightly different taste as well.

Taste:
Madeira Wood Finish: Spicy with a taste of citrus fruit and honey, dry finish
Port Wood Finish: Full and soft, with a taste of citrus fruit.
Sherry Wood Finish: Haven't tried yet

Price: ~$45

Glenmorangie is a very good all around whiskey and many of my non whisky drinking friends enjoyed a glass.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:27 PM

IronFly,

I like the Woodford quite a bit. I definitely agree on the clear caramel character, but, interestingly, the flavor that dominated my palate the first time I had it was actually mint. This may have been like 50% psychosomatic (juleps on the mind) but there is a kind of refreshing aromatic character layered on the caramel that I like a lot.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 PM

The Balvenie 10 Year
About $35.

Scotch noob here, so I can't get too complex with my description, but I'll try. The fragrance has a strong citrus kick to it. Taken with a splash of water, I found it very pleasant. It's smooth from the tip of the tongue all of the way through to the palate. The citrus element is still there but there is a sweetness to the scotch that is prevalent as soon as you taste it.

I haven't tried the 12 Year Double Wood, but will probably pick it up sometime soon. El D, I know you've had both, how do they compare?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 PM

reviewing Oban 14 for the second time in this thread, hope I don't break the rules again. Paid $42 at the New Hampshire State Liqour store

This is pretty medium in color and aroma. The aroma does remind me of some cognac I have had. Very easy to drink, little burn. Some tastes I picked up were caramel and toffee, along with an overall fruity taste, and just a touch of peatyness. Overall, very nice, would buy again.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:07 AM

I finished my bottle of the Mac 12 tonight.
Review: It is Love in a bottle.

Luckily I still have my mistress in the cabinet,
the Belvenie 12 Doublewood.

Single Malt No Ka OI