Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 08-26-2006, 01:17 AM

Default AK turn/river bad?

This was early in the session. No reads.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB

On the turn I couldn't think of a hand that I was ahead of that would call a bet other than AJ.

On the river, I assumed betting was bad because my hand would be clear at that point; he could get away from a T, Q or JJ and would only raise hands that beat me.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:22 AM

Default Re: AK turn/river bad?

I like the turn check/call with no read, I still like bet/calling the river better than check/calling.
Old 08-26-2006, 01:26 AM

People still payoff on the river praying you have 99, or not thinking at all and just clicking teh middle button. Bet!

I like checking the turn, but you are still ahead of KJ/K9s and Ax as well as AJ, so I might call a river bet.
Old 08-26-2006, 02:36 AM

If you are going to check this river I think you should do it with the intention of c/r and fold to 3bet. Otherwise I would b/c. A lot of opponents will check behind with a pair but still call a raise cuz thats what they do. I think 80% bet 20% c/r
Old 08-26-2006, 04:13 AM

For christ sake.Bet the turn.
Old 08-26-2006, 04:23 AM

Why? Q is a bad card for us, you agree?
Old 08-26-2006, 05:08 AM

Of course it's not a good card and of course we have to have reads to be absolute sure of what to do.
But if you are intending to call you have to bet the turn. You are representing a premium hand so it's not an easy choice for him to reraise you even with a weak lady like QJ if he is an average low limit player.
You have a chance to get him to fold any PP below TT and even a pair of tens if he is weak.And you charge him if he has an OESD or a Gsdraw because you sure as hell can't be sure he isn't taking the freecard.

And this is not the best situation to induce a bluff either.You did reraise him preflop so if you arenīt a maniac you have something so he could be afraid of the checkraise or that you just check calls your JJ to the river.
On the other hand if he is a strong player he could have raised with anything from MP (I even raise 96s from here at the right tables)and you have the best hand so value bet and if he folds be happy that you took down the pot.

And remember this is shorthanded so aggression is the key in this kind of situation. You have a reasonable amount of outs, you can make him fold a better hand, you can charge him for drawing, and there is IMO just a moderate risk of getting reraised which is the only reason to not bet the turn.
And most important the next time he is calling down your Top pair with 99 on this board because he knows that you don't always have it.
I think a bet on the turn is a must.Both for short term profit and for long term profit.
Old 08-26-2006, 05:46 AM

I agree with most, if not all, of what you're syaing. I just don't have the same view towards unknowns as you do. And because this is an unknown I am trying to view this hand in the most plain, mediocre, general view as possible (I believe it's termed 'in a vaccuum' a lot here).

I strongly believe he's not folding a better hand. Whatever pair you think he called the flop with I don't think the Q is going to change is mind.

I want to know more about this person. Does he bluff, what are his hobbies, will he check behind the river. This is a great spot to turn an unknown into a semiknown. Wait, I think this goes against looking at a hand 'in a vaccuum' oh well I'll catch on. It's not really though if you distrust unknowns the way I do. Not so much distrust as curious and willing to learn.

If we bet turn and get raised it sucks, if we bet turn and get called and don't inprove on river it sucks, if we check and he checks it's cool, if we check and he bets and we call it sucks but not that bad cuz we're getting 5.5:1, granted our 1pair outs aren't perfect so it sucks but only so much, 3rd outta 4 suck levels (not counting when it goes check check and we improve).

If there was a great deal of future consideration to this hand, I would be more likely to bet the turn. As it is, I'm not counting on that going down with an unknown at 2/4.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to check this river I think you should do it with the intention of c/r and fold to 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Indubitably.
Old 08-26-2006, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For christ sake. Bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll go along with that, although I don't know what good it will do JC.