Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 06-26-2006, 02:32 PM
 is offline

Default Re: Updated satellite strategy post

[ QUOTE ]
I have a (4 year old) pic in my profile don't I?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 06-26-2006, 02:47 PM

Identical
Old 06-26-2006, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If I had to qualify again, I would...

I'm definitely playing the 150 seat Stars sat for W$ as it's probably going to be in the top 10 most profitable tournaments this year. The Full Tilt 100 seat sat is gonna be up there, too, especially since pros that have already won seats at Party and Stars will not be playing in it. Party's 8 seat guaranteed nightly tournaments seem like a good value and can even have a little overlay (although Party pays 1K less for winning 2+ seats). The good old 73+7 sat to the Stars 650's is how I won my seat (although I bought in direct to the other 650 I played) and also gives practice on how to play a sat FT. Various turbo rebuys are great, too. Of course, if Bodog were an option, or some other site with overlays like that still is, toss this whole thing out the window and qualify from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should probably off myself for mentioning this. But there is always a huge FPP overlay in the 1,000 FPP freerolls on stars. It usually sends someone to the WSOP for ~300k FPPs total (seen it as low as 260k) from the entire field whereas it would cost 600k+ to buyin directly.

just trying to help ppl get double value on those things [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I don't think you're allowed to freeroll in after you win a seat in, making these extra soft [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deep stack poker

Tournament structure has generally become far slower over the last year and change, while dead money still busts out at a relatively rapid clip. In general, the bigger the buyin, the better the structure, so big event sats tend to be very deep; on Stars, the mean number of chips 3-4 hours into this sat was over 50 BB, and as one of the chip leaders, I had over 100. This doesn't have much to do with anything except that you now have to know how to play with cash game stacks in order to beat sats; it's no longer optional. Furthermore, later on (before the true bubble but after bubble FE becomes a factor) it's pretty important to learn to resteal and bluff properly

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night's $650 in Stars was the first one I have qualified for. I think there were 24 seats up for grabs.

Maybe it was just bad luck, but I was amazed how well everyone played at my table for the first 4 levels (until I busted out) I had Game Time running and no one had a VPIP over 22%. Some were as low as 13%. Since I was not getting any cards to play, I tried to survive on blind steals and resteals.

After I had indentified whose blinds I wanted to pick on, I was consistently beat to the punch by other players who had figured out the same thing. After folding my crappy hands in the big blind for an hour, one player was obviously picking on my blind. As I got ready to make the big resteal with any 2 cards, the button would reraise him out of the pot. Since I didn't have a good enough read to push all in and resteal his resteal, I had to fold. This happened 2 orbits in a row.

Hopefully the next time I qualify for the $650 I will sit at a better table and be dealt better cards.

I just wanted to let everyone know, that the early rounds of this tournament will take a lot more skill than the donkfest qualifiers to get into them.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have a (4 year old) pic in my profile don't I?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

blurry 3 year old fiancee and I pic

Old 06-26-2006, 04:38 PM
 is offline

Is she Asian? If so, we have something in common. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 PM

Very nice post, here's a couple things I've messed up lately, help?

Three handed in a WSOP freeroll, top 2 get seats. I'm comfortable chip leader with ~300k while both others have between 100-150k. I was raising allin every single pot...but you're saying I should have been basically sitting out and making them play against each other? I ended up doubling one of them up when they found AA.

Then it got even worse, we were all roughly equal in chips, when the SB started going allin into my BB every single hand. Sounds like the right strategy according to what you posted. I guess I should have started doing the exact same thing to the other guy when I was SB? Instead I got blinded down. What hands can I call with when I know the guys basically going allin blind?

In another tourney there were roughly 13 ppl left in a 80$ sat, and 9 got 650$ seats. I was a little below average with 9k, I think avg was about 11-13k. I raised to 1800 or so with KK in EP, and a middlish stack who covered me in MP went allin. Is this a call or a fold?
Old 06-26-2006, 04:54 PM

#1 is tricky because you can't sit out unless the blinds are really big/they will even out with you eventually, so theoretically, you should raise/fold a lot if they don't realize they should be pushing tons. If they play perfectly you should shove decent hands and fold everything else.

Most of the rest is an SNGPT question and depends on the blinds, so buy/use that. I would call KK there though.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:08 PM

Great post again on the topic. If I end up qualifying and we happen to meet up in vegas a drink or two on me! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

just trying to help ppl get double value on those things [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I don't think you're allowed to freeroll in after you win a seat in, making these extra soft [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quite certain that you can.

Suerte,
Jonathan