Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-29-2007, 07:37 AM

Default NL25: AA - Low coordinated board

Hi

How did I play this?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

MP1 ($25)
MP2 ($17.65)
CO ($10.50)
Button ($28.95)
Hero ($20.65)
BB ($37)
UTG ($29.80)
UTG+1 ($6)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $0.25, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.75</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.75</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $3.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $12.25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $21</font>, Hero calls $7.65 (All-In).

Turn: ($43.40) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

River: ($43.40) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $43.40
Old 11-29-2007, 07:41 AM

Default Re: AA - Low coordinated board

You couldn't have played this worse IMO.

Make it like $1.75 or $2 PF. Bet pretty close to the full pot on the flop. In any case, I don't hink you can get away from AA on almost any flop for 80BB.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:22 AM

I beg to differ. He could have played it a lot worse.

Yeah, maybe he should have made it a $1 or $1.25 pre. I think $2 is a scared money kill your action sort of bet. You want people to call you when you have a strong hand. You don't want their quarters, you want their dollars. You're not trying to blow them off the crappy rags they are going to call with. How are they going to put too much money in the pot when they make top pair with JTo if you don't let them play it. Sometimes it goes south and you stack off. These things happen.

Post flop, the money ends up getting in however it gets in. With 80bb, you're just getting all-in here. That's just the way it is.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 AM

I like $1.50 here preflop. It's not so big that everyone will fold, but it's big enough to get money in the pot. On the flop, it's probably +EV to get in here, but it's certainly high variance. Any reads on the villain?
Old 11-29-2007, 09:54 AM

The thing is if this guy is prepared to raise with 44 or 88 or a flushdraw on this flop, why wouldn't he raise with that hand preflop having the button and facing one player? That doesn't make sense to me, so I would say if I get raised on this flop the guy probably does have a real hand (34, 89, a set, 4c5c, 8c5c, 75, 76, 56). The worst hand he will raise here is 97 or T7 I guess; but these won't be a lot in his range, although we don't have reads here. If it is a good player I wouldn't blame you for letting it go right away on that flop. You are OOP with a vulnerable hand on this flop. As it stands I would call and evaluate the turn. As mentioned already please raise more preflop so that you can get committed with your preflopmonster and 80 BB behind.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM

idk why, but I feel like I'm gonna get flamed for saying this, but whatev.

Whenever it makes sense to (e.g. There's a bunch of limpers and you're OOP), try to get about 8%-12% of your effective stack in preflop with big one-pair hands JJ+, AK, and AQ. This makes it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, for your opponents to play profitably against you, and it also makes for very easy decisions (i.e. "I got 10% of my stack in preflop with Aces. Time to get all-in").

So for example, this would've been a good spot to make it like 1.65 preflop. If you did that, you wouldn't even bat an eye about getting all-in on this flop.

Like everything with poker, this isn't a mandate from the stars. It's situational. But I find it's a pretty good to keep in mind.

P.S. I'm not saying open-raise to 10BBs or anything ridiculous like that. Just raise big when it makes sense to raise big lol. Clever clever stuff, huh?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: NL25: AA - Low coordinated board

I like the 1.25 or 1.50 raise preflop. Enough to start building, .75 is very bad.

SPR for this is around 7.5 multiway. Even with 80BB op SHOULD NOT be looking to get it all in here. Aces would like to have a spr's around 3-4 for multiway, as high as 6 heads up.

I really think you got setmined for this hand. The hand almost looks familar.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 PM

Default Re: NL25: AA - Low coordinated board

Hi

Thanks for the replys.

I don't yet understand why you want to be more committed pre flop?

Surely any flop call is based on the board and the bet made by villian.

Can anyone explain why being more commited is better in the long run???

How does your commitment level affect the likelihood that villian has you beat?

I'm sure this is a very simple question so sorry in advance. But i would like some of you guys to eplain the concept if possible.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2007, 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whenever it makes sense to (e.g. There's a bunch of limpers and you're OOP), try to get about 8%-12% of your effective stack in preflop with big one-pair hands JJ+, AK, and AQ. This makes it incredibly difficult, if not impossible, for your opponents to play profitably against you, and it also makes for very easy decisions (i.e. "I got 10% of my stack in preflop with Aces. Time to get all-in").

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this the case??

Why does 10% of your stack in pre flop mean you should auto go in post flop??

What if flop is 3 spades giving made flush to villian? Or 2 kings meaning 1 king has you behind?

Sorry if this is just the toatally wrong way to look at things but I would like to know the balance between your investment in the pot and how scary the board is?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2007, 10:32 PM

looks like he's got a set, 2 pair or a big draw.
wouldn't be too happy about getting it in, but it's no shame going broke with AAc here.
You've got the Ac which is good but I think you should be able to fold this if villain is decent.

bigger preflop raise please.