Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 02:43 PM

Default Maniacs

I been playing with alot of maniacs recently. These guys are raising it 85-90% of the time preflop and will even reraise it to isolate the raiser.

On the flop they will always continuation bet. Usually it will be for the pot. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 PM

Default Re: Maniacs

wait for good hands?
Old 11-08-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wait for good hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

yea should i reraise him preflop with good hands? Then I can isolate it HUs
Old 11-08-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I been playing with alot of maniacs recently. These guys are raising it 85-90% of the time preflop and will even reraise it to isolate the raiser.

On the flop they will always continuation bet. Usually it will be for the pot. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rolf Slotboom's book has a big section on this. His advice is to buy in short, sit on the maniac's <u>right</u>, and play a strictly limp/re-raise style. And do your best to get it all in pre-flop when you have a better hand than the maniacs range (aces, kings, nice double-suited rundowns, suited broadways, etc.)

If you're going to buy in full, don't sit to his right. Find a seat a few spots downstream so you can take advantage and isolate him. Let him hang himself when he has good hands.

In "Ace on the River" Barry Greenstein says the common response to a maniac is to tighten up. Greenstein says the change you should make is to loosen up and re-raise more frequently.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:23 PM

Yea I did read that quote on Greenstein. It is alot easier to do in holdem.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Rolf Slotboom's book has a big section on this. His advice is to buy in short, sit on the maniac's <u>right</u>, and play a strictly limp/re-raise style. And do your best to get it all in pre-flop when you have a better hand than the maniacs range (aces, kings, nice double-suited rundowns, suited broadways, etc.)

If you're going to buy in full, don't sit to his right. Find a seat a few spots downstream so you can take advantage and isolate him. Let him hang himself when he has good hands.

In "Ace on the River" Barry Greenstein says the common response to a maniac is to tighten up. Greenstein says the change you should make is to loosen up and re-raise more frequently.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be an insta-ban to advertise Slotboom's advice in this forum.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wait for good hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the maniac style mayself, but my best advice for playing against this type of player is to develop a fairly tight image at the table and then (assuming you have position on villain) 3bet his raises with hands in the range of AA-QQxx and any run-down 4567 and higher, pretty much hands that look to take down big pots if they hit. The reason I advocate this type of raising range is because raising only high suited pockets with a tight image is a surefire way to go broke; your hands are see-through. Raising low-high run-downs though, lets you bluff boards like 229, AK7, etc since even a maniac will generally respect a tight player's pre-flop 3bet.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rolf Slotboom's book has a big section on this. His advice is to buy in short, sit on the maniac's <u>right</u>

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with this is maniac will probably get up and leave once you limp r/r once. IMO its far better to buy in full and sit to his left, then 3 bet any hand you feel is ahead of his range (as mentioned in Gordo's post)

this way you can work on getting his entire stack rather than just 10-20% of it
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Rolf Slotboom's book has a big section on this. His advice is to buy in short, sit on the maniac's <u>right</u>

[/ QUOTE ]

the problem with this is maniac will probably get up and leave once you limp r/r once.

[/ QUOTE ]

???
Old 11-08-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wait for good hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the maniac style mayself, but my best advice for playing against this type of player is to develop a fairly tight image at the table and then (assuming you have position on villain) 3bet his raises with hands in the range of AA-QQxx and any run-down 4567 and higher, pretty much hands that look to take down big pots if they hit. The reason I advocate this type of raising range is because raising only high suited pockets with a tight image is a surefire way to go broke; your hands are see-through. Raising low-high run-downs though, lets you bluff boards like 229, AK7, etc since even a maniac will generally respect a tight player's pre-flop 3bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

^^^^Listen to this man. Excellent advice.

[ QUOTE ]
It should be an insta-ban to advertise Slotboom's advice in this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second this.