8 6 18.18%
9 7 21.21%
10 11 33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: The Rivalry

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think the hijacks demonstrate why us non-Boston/NY people hate Boston/NY people. There are only 17,000 threads devoted to Boston and NY sports in some capacity; this one isn't, but I guess they can't stand a non-NY/Boston thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea man, because a thread entitled "The Rivalry" shouldn't generate discussion as to what the best rivalry is, aside from the one suggested in the OP. Right...

IMO college football rivalries are way overhyped. Navy fans rushed the field after giving the Irish their 8th loss on the season. Sweet. Army-Navy routinely suck yet they put that trash on NBC? No thanks. UM and OSU are power college football programs, but to me that's just another regular season game, unless they meet in the NC game. I don't mind UM, but OSU fans are beyond annoying, especially considering it ISNT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM. For some reason, I object to claiming an amateur athletic competition as being "The Rivalry".

[/ QUOTE ]
Who cares if it's a professional team? At least most fans of college sports have a more vested reason for rooting for their team than that's the city they're from. People root for Michigan or tOSU or North Dakota State, whatever, because they went to school there. They were part of that community. As a student at one of these schools, you are a Wolverine, a Buckey, a Bison, a Wildcat. They are representatives of you and your community. They're not hired mercenaries like the Red Sox or the Dodgers, the Cowboys, etc. All you've got going for you if you're a Boston fan is either that their stadium is in your city or maybe you just hopped on the bandwagon.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Or am I thinking of The Game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Harvard v. Yale is "The Game."

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it was Slippery Rock vs MIT?
Old 11-07-2007, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yea man, because a thread entitled "The Rivalry" shouldn't generate discussion as to what the best rivalry is, aside from the one suggested in the OP. Right...

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that the title of the thread is also the title of an HBO documentary, which the OP is talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you certainly would see why the discussion of other rivalries would come up right? Right? Threads are living things, that don't always go as intended, and it's easy to see how easily it can change direction. Which it did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I can see why it might end up that way.

Your post just came off as "Well, you should expect this thread to quickly swerve off topic without any discussion of the actual subject" and I don't necessarily agree with that.
Old 11-07-2007, 10:32 PM

Well if we're going to debate the "best rivalry" thing...

Obviously I'm picking UM-OSU but it's a total homer pick. The thing about ranking rivalries, aside from obviously being hugely subjective, is how opposite traits will be cited as reasons for why their rivalry is the greatest.

For example, some people say their rivalry is the best because it always has a big impact on the national title/conference title race. Other say that the teams don't have any national or other significance but they STILL have a fierce rivalry and that's why it's so great (think Army-Navy, Harvard-Yale, etc).

Or they'll say that they are fierce foes but have deep respect for each other. Or they hate each other so much that they won't speak and people will treat the opposing fans horribly.

It's funny that opposite propositions become arguments for the same point. No real comment on it, but it's mostly finding a way to justify the rivalry you care about as being the most important.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well if we're going to debate the "best rivalry" thing...

Obviously I'm picking UM-OSU but it's a total homer pick. The thing about ranking rivalries, aside from obviously being hugely subjective, is how opposite traits will be cited as reasons for why their rivalry is the greatest.

For example, some people say their rivalry is the best because it always has a big impact on the national title/conference title race. Other say that the teams don't have any national or other significance but they STILL have a fierce rivalry and that's why it's so great (think Army-Navy, Harvard-Yale, etc).

Or they'll say that they are fierce foes but have deep respect for each other. Or they hate each other so much that they won't speak and people will treat the opposing fans horribly.

It's funny that opposite propositions become arguments for the same point. No real comment on it, but it's mostly finding a way to justify the rivalry you care about as being the most important.

[/ QUOTE ]

This documentary should kick some serious ass. I'm not sure what a Michigan fan's experience is like, but as an Ohio State fan it plays out like a great story.

The entire football season is a preseason for this game. This is it. You win it, its a great season. You lose it, even with 10 wins before it, your season is a failure. As football season closes in, it comes down to "will we beat Michigan this year"? As the season starts, you will notice Buckeye fans will always be keeping a close eye on Michigan, cheering with nearly greater joy when they struggle than we do well. Season after season have been ruined in this game.
As the season starts, there is almost always a countdown to Michigan week. As it gets closer and closer, the current games begin to blur together as the focus heads towards the team up North. The Saturday before the big game, the entire city's attention turns to this game. Non-stop tv coverage, Beat Michigan rallies, concerts, blood drives. The city busses (not just the University ones) will display "BEAT MICHIGAN" instead of the route they are driving. By the end of the week, the students are jumping in Mirror Lake at night (sometimes in near-freezing temperatures) for good luck.

The RVs start rolling in and taking up the student parking. The Friday before the game is a calm before the storm that is about to erupt. Bars open before dawn for Kegs and Eggs with lines going out the door. A sea of scarlet sweeps the streets as 200,000 people take to the streets. Tailgates are packed full and anticipation is in the air. The game will start soon. The band warms up with Skull Session and begins to pump up the crowd. The team runs from St. John Arena to the stadium as everyone cheers. The game is starting soon.

The crowd slowly begins to fill the stadium as it turns from concrete to red with few patches of maize and blue. As the stadium fills, the band begins to take the field. The drums beat as they file out of the tunnel as they have for decades. As they assemble into carefully arranged rows, the Buckeye Battle Cry roars as the drum major leans back, touching his hat to the ground and the main fanfare starts. The finale is the famous Script Ohio. The crowd remains standing, cheering as loud as they do for a Buckeye Touchdown.

At the end of the pregame show, the band aligns with the entrance from the stadium. The players start to head down the tunnel into the stadium, but remain hidden by the red cover. As they charge the field, the crowd erupts into a symphony of 100,000 voices. The game has begun.

As the game progresses, it is always closer than it should be. Teams that are unbeatable and invincible are given scares by much inferior teams. Tension is in the air and the stress levels of watching this game surely add to reduced years on some fans' lives.

The game ends in one of two ways. Victory brings a sigh of relief. The season is a success. The party has begun. Failure brings embarrassment and depression. We now have to wait another year before we get another crack at them. But either way, the countdown begins until the two foes meet again.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:07 PM

Agree, TC. Best friggin' week of the year. I'm totally useless at school (and hopefully starting next year at work). I talked to a guy who was just at the advance screening at the Michigan Theater. He said it was great. Also Rick Leach was there and gave a speech after.

The thing about this, vs. say Notre Dame or MSU, is that winning vs. OSU is the best feeling (sans National Title). However, as much as losing sucks, I think losing to MSU or ND is worse than losing to OSU. We hate the Buckeyes and all but they're a legitimately great program. MSU is not, like losing to your little brother. ND is a great program, but they're evil incarnate.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OSU fans are beyond annoying, especially considering it ISNT EVEN A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS TEAM.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maurice Clarett would like to disagree.

Just kidding, tO$U fans.

Anyway, this rivalry is all it's cracked up to be. People get nuts. Go google the Dead Schembechlers (or whatever they changed their name to after Bo died) and review the song titles. Then tell me it doesn't mean anything.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Agree, TC. Best friggin' week of the year. I'm totally useless at school (and hopefully starting next year at work). I talked to a guy who was just at the advance screening at the Michigan Theater. He said it was great. Also Rick Leach was there and gave a speech after.

The thing about this, vs. say Notre Dame or MSU, is that winning vs. OSU is the best feeling (sans National Title). However, as much as losing sucks, I think losing to MSU or ND is worse than losing to OSU. We hate the Buckeyes and all but they're a legitimately great program. MSU is not, like losing to your little brother. ND is a great program, but they're evil incarnate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we need to put a few more L's on you guys to make it like I felt growing up during the John Cooper years. Continuous disappointment.

A guy just started at my work from Michigan (I live in Texas now), and its kind of interesting how we both just "get" it. There is an automatic competitiveness between us as soon as he put his Michigan flag up. But compared to the Longhorn fans (and worse... Aggies), it just isn't the same. I went to the Texas- Ohio State game last year, and was just utterly dissapointed by the atmosphere. No excitement. Just annoying loud music being blasted out of the speakers. The stadium was awful and looks like it was an oversized high school stadium. I was also told by some ignorant Longhorn fans that "Ohio State doesn't have football tradition".

But Michigan and Ohio State just get each other. Its the yin to the yang, opposite in colors but identical in form. I have a lot of respect for you guys and there just seems to be a "bond" whenever I meet someone from Michigan. It just puts that much more on the line when I need to save face.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[Losing to MSU is] like losing to your little brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is losing to App. St. like getting cornholed by your neighbor's poodle or what?
Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[Losing to MSU is] like losing to your little brother.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is losing to App. St. like getting cornholed by your neighbor's poodle or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never been cornholed by my neighbor's poodle, but I suppose that's a good analogy. It wasn't my favorite Michigan moment.