Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: negreanu\'s column: tells comment?

Pips are small but easily countable items. It is used to describe the dots on dominoes, dice, denote suits, and is the name for the seeds of fruit. It could be used as a synonym for dot in most situations, for example morse code.

In playing cards, pips are small symbols on the frontside of the cards that determine the suit of the card. A standard 52-card poker deck consists of four suits of thirteen cards each: spades, hearts, clubs, and diamonds. Each suit contains three face cards - the jack, queen, and king. The remaining ten cards are called pip cards and are numbered from one to ten. (The first card is almost always changed from "one" to "ace" and often is the highest card in the game, followed by the face cards.) Each pip card consists of an encoding in the top left-hand corner (and, because the card is also inverted upon itself, the lower right-hand corner) which tells the card-holder the value of the card. The center of the card contains pips representing the suit. The number of pips corresponds with the number of the card, and the arrangement of the pips is generally the same from deck to deck.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well played, sir.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:32 PM

I know what DN is talking about and I'd guess I'm susceptible to this, but doubt I've ever been exploited by it.

I look at the opposite corners of the cards as soon as I get them, then wait my turn to look at the actual values. This way, I'll know something about my hand and get excited about the possibilities.

For example, if I look at two "none across" cards, I know I've got aces 1/11 times. Awesome! Same for looking at two paint cards, it's 3/11 that I've got a big pocket pair. Looking at a none-across and a paint could be AK and could be J2.

Playing live is really boring to me compared with playing 4 tables at once online. It's kinda stupid, but it passes time.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WHAT IS A PIP ON A CARD???

[/ QUOTE ]

Indices (the numbers in the corners) did not appear on playing cards until about the 1860s. Just a point of information.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
whoever squeezes their cards in such a way that they have to count the freakin pips is retarded

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. People do this just for the "excitement", or the "rush". I have a friend who squeezes his cards as slowly as possible every time. He does the same thing at 3-Card Poker. He is of course, by his own admission, a hopeless and degenerate gambling junkie.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i'm ever playing face down blackjack i always squeeze as slow and hard as possible. or pretty much any gambling table game where i am allowed to hold cards actually.

i normally don't squeeze when i play poker, but if someone is sweating me, i almost always squeeze to put on a good show.