Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness

Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: OK, seriously guys. THE PUMPAGE. W T F

[ QUOTE ]

Yea the way Arnold was talking about it was weird, but I thought that the Pump just naturally occurred after lifting some solid weight.

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I gather it happens more on isolation lifts where you train to failure and less on compound lifts/or when you don't train to failure.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yea the way Arnold was talking about it was weird, but I thought that the Pump just naturally occurred after lifting some solid weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is whether the pump is actually something beneficial (or an indicator of something beneficial) and whether or not you should train "for the pump".

The most basic modern philosophy would say that if you're moving an increasing amount of big weight around it doesn't matter if you get a pump or not. And most of the hard compound lifts are not conducive to pumpage.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
From what I gather it happens more on isolation lifts where you train to failure and less on compound lifts/or when you don't train to failure.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes thats true.

Its just an effect that we feel. It has nothing to do with how effective the training is.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 PM

What Arnold said. I wonder if he ever banged Louie's sister.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:57 PM

I didn't use to feel a squat work-out was complete until I used the leg-extension machine after, no matter how rubbery my legs were. When you hear all about pump this and pump that for years, it's hard to get it out of your system.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:10 AM

I like to get a pump and go to the beach/pool. Impress the hoes.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:01 AM

FWIW:

My main goal on a daily basis, if its a weight day, is to achieve a sustained "pump". I do not achieve it and then stare in the mirror, it is most assuredly NOT for cosmetic reasons. I have noticed over many years of training that my most effective gains come after bringing myself past the point of failure (not a breakthrough, I know, and then only after proper recovery). The best indicator of moving past failure for me is the pump. If I hit a really good pump that is focused into the specific muscle I've been working, I will hurt the next day (the good kind of hurt). To get into the pump and work with/through it for a couple sets, drop sets, forced reps, and super/tri sets are the way to go for me.

OP, I think that if you trained for a week ensuring that you get a pump through your target muscle, you will see what I'm saying. As an aside, even though I have a strong back it is the hardest area/muscle group to pump, and it is the area that hurts the least the day after I hit it hard.